Honored Contributor

Re: Is it possible to ignore your own birthday?

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I will be 59 next Sunday and I have uneasy feelings about this birthday. I would love to ignore it and act like it is not happening.....but that is hard to do. I guess i have a week to get "ok" with turning 59 (haha). Have any of you been able to truly ignore your birthday? I am open to learning from all of you.....

@Goldengate8361 

Don't ignore it!  Embrace it!  It's your last one before you turn 60, so enjoy being in your 50's!  I'm just trying to put a positive spin on it!  I always had a hard time each time I went into another bracket --- 29 into 30, 30 into 40, 40 into 50, 50 into 60!  Now, I'm 67!  Here's another positive one --- there are always people older than you and they are going --- gee, I wish I were 59 like her!  LOL!  I know -- birthdays aren't as much fun as they used to be, that's for sure.  If nothing fun is planned for you, then plan something fun for yourself!  Go shopping, get your hair and nails done!  Celebrate you!!!!  and --- Happy Early Birthday!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I don't ignore my birthday, but I don't celebrate it.  I don't mind getting older, it's just no big deal.

No cake, no ice cream and no gifts...I am just not into it.

I have to remind myself to acknowledge others birthdays because they are in to celebrating their day.

On my daughter's recent birthday she thanked me for giving birth to her.  That moved me to tears and was a very big deal.

When our family began to grow it became to expensive to buy so many gifts  - we now just send cards to each other and we always call each other on our birthdays.  

Honored Contributor

I've had so many, it's just another day, and sometimes I have to stop and think, how old am I now?  It's no big deal, it just happens and it's free.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm 73. I've celebrated a few birthdays, moved on in others. My husband and I have a tradition where we make each other our favorite dishes. His is meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and peas. Mine is lobster and champagne. I suppose that says something about us.

Trusted Contributor

Yes it is possible.  I basically do every year.  I have hidden my birthday on my FB page so I don't get filled with birthday wishes.  My husband and I don't give each other gives for birthdays or anniversaries so it ends up being a normal day.  I don't advertise to anyone when my birthday is.  This isn't because of my age it really stems from the fact that I don't like celebrating myself.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it's possible.  I've done it for the last 20 years.  Sadly, I will be 70 in October.

My body is falling apart and it's only going to get worse every year.  

I don't want cards, cake and no Happy Birthday said to me.  Of course, my family pays no attention to what I want. I just say thank you and change the subject.

Respected Contributor

i celebrate "un-birthdays" now -   each un-birthday, i subtract a year. it makes me feel younger and the day is more fun as i tell people to wish me "Happy Un-Birthday"!!!! 

Honored Contributor

Impossible to ignore, whether you like it or not.  You are going to turn 59.  People who know it's your birthday are going to wish you a happy birthday, send cards, emails.  If you are on FB, there will be the Happy Birthday notice.  It's going to happen.  You can bow out of any birthday celebrations.  You still have week to let people know that you won't be celebrating so you don't want any cakes, lunches, dinners etc.   Yes, indeed.  There have been years when I felt like letting the thing pass over me un-noticed but that just was not a possibility.  So, I went with the flow.

Valued Contributor

My father stated that everyday that you awake is a good day.

Your birthday is better than the other side of the coin.

It is a new day. 

Embrace each age.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Yes, it's possible.  I've done it for the last 20 years.  Sadly, I will be 70 in October.

My body is falling apart and it's only going to get worse every year.  

I don't want cards, cake and no Happy Birthday said to me.  Of course, my family pays no attention to what I want. I just say thank you and change the subject.

I wish I was 70.  Come June,  84, I make each day special.  I take dog for 2mile walk.  Then 2miles treadmill, 5 miles bike.  Everyday I do this.  Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Zumba Class and Gym.  Tues, Thursday,Saturday, free weights and yoga.   In between , clean house, gardening.  Sunday, only Yoga.  Works out the kinks from working out all week.  

Sixty years of exercise paid off for me.  My 94 year old or young friend, still goes to the gym three times a week and walks  a mile a day.

I have aches and pains, but  exercise has kept me healthy,  moving and mentally well.  I tell young people, exercise, it will benefit you in your later years, but never too late to do something.  Whatever you can do.  Keep your mind active.