Respected Contributor

Re: Is it possible that a jeweler would switch a diamond?

@missy1 wrote:

@Adamlambert wrote:

I have no doubt a jeweler would do that, sad to say. I have a $40k diamond ring I bought at Costco and need to have it sized but it's not leaving my sight. I use one of those plastic ring sizer things until I can find one.  I'm sorry thus happened to you.  It's not back with the Waltons, people are jerks.  

Costco has $40,000 rings? I can't imagine spending that. I would rather buy a nice car.

They have rings that cost more than that.

Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago, I had watched a tv show (some kind of news show) where they had purchased 10 diamond rings. The rings were then brought to 10 different jewelers to be re-sized.

8 out of the 10 jewelers had switched the diamonds. Of course, they all denied it.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@Adamlambert wrote:

I have no doubt a jeweler would do that, sad to say. I have a $40k diamond ring I bought at Costco and need to have it sized but it's not leaving my sight. I use one of those plastic ring sizer things until I can find one.  I'm sorry thus happened to you.  It's not back with the Waltons, people are jerks.  

Costco has $40,000 rings? I can't imagine spending that. I would rather buy a nice car.

I did just see them on-line. Do they have them in the actual store?

Valued Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

Many years ago, I had watched a tv show (some kind of news show) where they had purchased 10 diamond rings. The rings were then brought to 10 different jewelers to be re-sized.

8 out of the 10 jewelers had switched the diamonds. Of course, they all denied it.

I saw that show too. I think it was 20/20. They had all the diamonds marked with laser-written identification codes. It really was shocking, wasn't it? All the jewelers were just outside NY, some in NJ.

Valued Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

So, how do you stay with your stone, I have had my engagement ring sized many times and never thought of anything going on like that. Do you ask the jeweler to remove the stone and just keep the setting, then does he charge you extra to put it back in the setting, or maybe wait for your repair, if possible.

A jewelry store near our house has a viewing window by their main jeweler's bench. You can sit and watch as your ring is being worked on and they guarantee it will never be out of your sight. Of course you have to make an appointment.

I'm sure jewelers are used to such requests from customers and the good ones will accomodate them.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

So, how do you stay with your stone, I have had my engagement ring sized many times and never thought of anything going on like that. Do you ask the jeweler to remove the stone and just keep the setting, then does he charge you extra to put it back in the setting, or maybe wait for your repair, if possible.

That's what I did.  Asked him to remove the diamond and brought it home with me.  When the repairs were finished, I took it back to have it put it back in the setting.

I did it twice, once with my own and then when I inherited my moms and had to have it resized.  Two different jewelers and neither one had a problem with me asking.

Trusted Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@Adamlambert wrote:

At one time Costco had a diamond ring priced at $500,000. It was one of a kind, the store that I go to had a poster of it displayed by the pricier fine jewelry. Costco guarantees that the fine jewelry that it sells will appraise for at least double, so that's a $1,000,000 ring.

Esteemed Contributor

My friend's grandfather was a diamond dealer in NYC. When she married he made sure she got very large, perfect diamonds in her rings. That was years and years ago, but to this day, any time she takes those rings in for anything, including new appraisals, she insists on never letting the rings out of her sight. If the jeweler objects, she takes the rings and leaves. She told me she just takes the stance that you never know for sure about any of them.

Esteemed Contributor

When jewelers change ur diamond to a fake --- most people don't realize it - or report it - for a long time. It's a very hard crime to prove. It's very sad - but NEVER trust anyone with ur valuables.