Honored Contributor

Re: Is it possible that a jeweler would switch a diamond?

So, how do you stay with your stone, I have had my engagement ring sized many times and never thought of anything going on like that. Do you ask the jeweler to remove the stone and just keep the setting, then does he charge you extra to put it back in the setting, or maybe wait for your repair, if possible.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@Adamlambert wrote:

I have no doubt a jeweler would do that, sad to say. I have a $40k diamond ring I bought at Costco and need to have it sized but it's not leaving my sight. I use one of those plastic ring sizer things until I can find one.  I'm sorry thus happened to you.  It's not back with the Waltons, people are jerks.  

Have the stone removed, then have the ring sized.  It should not be a problem.

Yes but then you need someone who sets diamonds. Not all jewelers can do that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@petepetey wrote:

I had my diamond repaired last week at a local jewelry store (big city). It's a lovely 1 carat stone, had it for over 25 years.

I have a loop and have viewed that stone for years and years, I know what it looks like.

When I brought it home I took a  look and I thought it had scratches on it. I went back

to the store and he said it wasn't possible to scratch a diamond. After a very long conversation with him he did take it out and weigh the stone to prove it was the same....but if you were really going to switch stones he could have done that before the change.  There are inclusions on the top that were not there before. 

Many times he said 'I did not switch your stone', and I would say those are your words not mine, I'm not suggesting that.

So, what is the process now? 

I do plan on going to get an appraisal at the place I bought it. I have paperwork saying the 4 c's. I do not have a map of the stone face though or numbers on engraved on that stone. 

YES!!!!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@petepetey wrote:

I have the original paperwork saying the size, color is H and naming the vvs, inclusions etc.

I regret leaving the ring, no doubt. This place has been in business for 40 years so 

you'd think someone else would of had problems. It's not on the BBB.

I'm leaning towards scratches on the stone???

I"m going tomorrow to have the original jewelery store appraise it. 

Only a diamond can scratch or cut another diamond.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

I have 2 rings that my mom left me that need to be sized down from a size 8 to a size 6.5 or 7, depending on which hand I wear the ring on. I'm not confident leaving the rings with any jewelers for sizing because of the stories I've head about gemstones being swapped out or the ring being damaged during the sizing process. The rings have enormous sentimental value to me & are irreplaceable. 

Simple enough to add a ring guard.  I'd do that quicker than re-sizing.  That ring guard can be adjusted by you as well @sgraham30.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

A one carat of H in color and VVS in Clarity ain't cheap @blackhole99

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

If possible, u never leave a diamond with a jeweler. Always let them do the work at the counter - and stand there and watch. Yes - they do it all the time. You need to take it to another jeweler to get it appraised. Hope u have pics of it. I've seen these shows on Judge Judy. Good Luck

@kivah    @petepetey

I agree .... you WATCH the work being done, or go somewhere else where this is done.

OP ....   If the stone was switched, your recourse is possibly Small Claims Court ..... or what about your Homeowners Insurance?

Honored Contributor

There has to be a jeweler you can find who is to be trusted. to remove stones for every sizing or repair is not standard procedure, or what if you want to have a ring change its setting, you will have to leave it then.

Honored Contributor

@petepetey wrote:

I have the original paperwork saying the size, color is H and naming the vvs, inclusions etc.

I regret leaving the ring, no doubt. This place has been in business for 40 years so 

you'd think someone else would of had problems. It's not on the BBB.

I'm leaning towards scratches on the stone???

I"m going tomorrow to have the original jewelery store appraise it. 

Most people do not know their diamond intimately and could not identify certain characteristics on their particular diamond under a scope so it is possible many people have no idea if their diamond was changed out or not. Or they may not have any proof that it was changed out since it would be hard to prove and so accusations like that I am sure are not allowed on BBB unless proven (i.e. proven in court). 

I personally know all the particulars about my diamond and have all the details about it in paperwork so could prove if it is truly my diamond or not. However, I would never, ever leave my ring with anyone- they do all the cleaning and work right in front of me. 

Honored Contributor

I remember my mother telling me her mother-in-law (my grandma) had an engagement ring with a nice diamond. She brought it in to be cleaned and when she got it back it looked different (she left it and picked it up). She never said anything about it. My mother is sure they pulled a fast one on her. My mother has never let her diamond ring out of her sight when brought into a jeweler.