Honored Contributor

Re: Is it just my imagination or is this board better?

[ Edited ]

It used to seem to me that some or several of the "heated discussions" here would typically turn into fillabusters, so no matter what, they got to be like politics to me. 

Fact is, somebody is always going to want me to eat baked potatoes while I'm trying to convince them to eat cashew butter, the same posters will defend to the death the necessity of using insult language to spice up "opinions"  and neither of us will give an inch, so why bother to drag the topic up ad infinitum.

I like the fact that moderators at least comment when a thread is poofed, and as far as I'm concerned the poofage rate is about what it was before.

The same posters want to post the same tasteless remarks and defend themselves as having opinions, the same posters who were banned in the past emerge with fresh new nics and get hostile when anyone voices a comment not in lockstep with theirs, the same posters who whine about hosts and merchandise and "too many returns" letters are still here in force.

Just a cozy day down home, just like always!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, minkbunny.  Good to hear from you and see all is well with you and your cowboy!

In answer to your question....I'm not quite sure...some things are better....some things are worse.  I guess time will tell!

Respected Contributor

hi minky - I hope you and your cowboy + family are doing well!  Good to see you.

To answer your question - yes, in some ways this board is much better.  The moderation is hands on and the staff seems to be willing to explain why things are locked or removed.   This is a step in the right direction -  good boards do have hands ons moderation and I was always shocked that this board never had it before.

I am with agreement with others that I wish we could discuss more topics, so long it is civil.  But and I use the collective we, because many people have done this in the past, we resorted to snarks, snipes, insults (and some of the insults can never be taken back - insults towards family is one that I cannot forgive) and circular arguments that went nowhere in the past.  Because of this, the Q feels we cannot be trusted with those topics. Maybe in time, when we have proven that we can discuss things without the usual griping and complaining and challenging moderation, they will allow these topics to be discussed here.

Many chatboards can discuss politics, current events and other "hot" topics without resorting to low attacks on character of the poster, and the quality of those posts are really amazing - very factual, stats and if someone posts an "opinion", they know not to get defensive when other people ask for more information on that opinion.  And they actually do provide those links from solid sites.  Of course, people can read the stats anyway they want to, but allowing others to see that information does help move the discussion along, instead of falling down into a "pile on" type of mentality.  Serious topics do deserve serious and thoughtful discourse, and it has been proven, time and time again here, that those topics devolve into catfights.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

I do not think they are better at all. Ugly to look at and just too much work to post quite frankly. All the tags, hearts, etc are a royal pain. I like to come to boards to chat - pure and simple. Hard to do just that. And they sign you off if you let it sit for only a small time. Makes NO sense at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Jmo, but I think the forums look and work the same as before.

I use the "hearts" in lieu of posting an "ITA" which I think keep a thread tighter. I don't use the tags.

I just post and go my merry way.

I don't get kicked off, ever.

Respected Contributor

It must be your imagination, it is definitely not better.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Until I can find threads about books in one location (without having to dig through clutter), it is definitely NOT better.

Respected Contributor

Some things may be better. We can't really talk about much and if you look at the threads, it's self explanatory. We still have those who claim they are smarter than everyone else and tell us on a daily basis.

Honored Contributor

Overall, I think the new board is better because the main problem, IMO, was the nastiness of some posters.  Before, I almost never posted on View Points whereas now I do (Community Chat).  It's less likely to result in an insulting response if the other poster disagrees with you.  As far as poofing goes, I don't mind it because I can usually see why a thread is poofed.

I do wish I could have my font style, size and color as my default because it's a pain setting it up with every post...especially when I'm on my iPad.....stuff keeps jumping around, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

Some things may be better. We can't really talk about much and if you look at the threads, it's self explanatory. We still have those who claim they are smarter than everyone else and tell us on a daily basis.

hi @nun ya I hope you are doing well - I haven't seen you that much lately Smiley Happy  We might just be on different threads

I honestly never saw anyone state that about themselves here, but I've seen other posters apply that insult towards posters.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames