Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it global warming or global cooling?

@Noel7 wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Lots/many/some people just don't care about gasoline prices, even when the prices were very high.  They 'still' sat/sit in their cars, engines running, texting.  Minimum ten or fifteen minutes, although many of us over here have seen them for 1/2 hour, more or less.  It's going to take most of us, as a society, to stop wasting energy on a daily basis. Remind ourselves, our adult children, our grandchildren, our neighbors, friends, etc.     It all begins with each of us as individuals.  So many things that we do that are counter-productive to our earth. 

@romary1  It would also take all the other countries in the world.  Good luck with that, they have other things on their minds.

@3suwm5

Um, no.  Other countries have been in meetings with each other and the US once a year for several years now about global warming and global warming only.

And they formed a coalition to work together, in fact they signed it.  That INCLUDES China who many thought would not agree to reduce toxins, but they did and they are working on it.

@Noel7  That would be good.  In the meantime, I'll chat about it in detail with my DH's expert friend.  About 39 years in contamination research, I can count on him giving me the REAL DEAL.  I'm very curious on his take.

@3suwm5

I'm not sure what you mean by a contamination expert or how that applies.  I know there are people in public health who deal with contamination.  Do you mean areas like pollution?

It will be interesting to hear about your conversation, but as an FYI there are numerous academic studies and research online, not only American, also.

@Noel7  He is a research scientist in contamination of most everything on and off earth.

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Lots/many/some people just don't care about gasoline prices, even when the prices were very high.  They 'still' sat/sit in their cars, engines running, texting.  Minimum ten or fifteen minutes, although many of us over here have seen them for 1/2 hour, more or less.  It's going to take most of us, as a society, to stop wasting energy on a daily basis. Remind ourselves, our adult children, our grandchildren, our neighbors, friends, etc.     It all begins with each of us as individuals.  So many things that we do that are counter-productive to our earth. 

@romary1  It would also take all the other countries in the world.  Good luck with that, they have other things on their minds.

@3suwm5

Um, no.  Other countries have been in meetings with each other and the US once a year for several years now about global warming and global warming only.

And they formed a coalition to work together, in fact they signed it.  That INCLUDES China who many thought would not agree to reduce toxins, but they did and they are working on it.

@Noel7  That would be good.  In the meantime, I'll chat about it in detail with my DH's expert friend.  About 39 years in contamination research, I can count on him giving me the REAL DEAL.  I'm very curious on his take.

@3suwm5

I'm not sure what you mean by a contamination expert or how that applies.  I know there are people in public health who deal with contamination.  Do you mean areas like pollution?

It will be interesting to hear about your conversation, but as an FYI there are numerous academic studies and research online, not only American, also.

@Noel7  He is a research scientist in contamination of most everything on and off earth.

That will be interesting.

Respected Contributor

Those homes in Pacifica CA have been there for years and were probably worth a fortune until the foundation got compromised.  I don't know how anyone could sell.  Such a pity.  I read that an earthquake could trigger a tsunami and devastate that area along with the PNW.  

Contributor

@Noel7

I have not tried the Trader Joe's burgers yet but I will have to check them out! The "Impossible Burger" is also available at Momofuku Nishi in NYC. Perhaps someday I will try it when I go to the city. It isn't even super expensive either...it's $13 for the burger with toppings and fries.

Ocean acidifcation is terrifying especially the Great Barrier Reef. This stuff is really scary and especially the (lack of) response to it but all we can do is the best we can on an individual level.

I wish it was discussed A LOT more in the media and among certain...public figures that are on our TV constantly. All of the trivial stuff they talk about and this gets hardly any air time.

We recently watched Narcos and so I was reading about Medellin in the present day. They have undergone a huge revival since Pablo Escobar was killed and among many other innovations, they actually have a tower in the city that scrubs carbon dioxide from the air (called an eco-arbol). If they can do it, why can't we? This technology was developed years ago but the US won't implement it due to cost.

@cherry

This is a common misconception that you have to eat nothing but vegetables to be a vegetarian. This couldn't be further from the truth. There are some days where I eat no fruits or vegetables at all.

Today for breakfast I had egg and cheese on an onion bagel, hash browns, a donut, and iced tea. For dinner I had paneer tikka masala (same as chicken tikka masala except with Indian cheese instead) with jasmine rice, garlic naan, and a mango lassi. I'm probably going to also have a snack before bed.

My husband used to be a huge carnivore and would eat no vegetables. He abruptly decided to go vegetarian and he doesn't even miss meat anymore. In fact vegetarianism has gotten him to try and enjoy lots of foods that he wouldn't have tried before. The meat cravings are pretty bad for the first two weeks or so. But people are resilient and the body adapts fairly easily.

And even if you don't want to be completely vegetarian, just reducing meat consumption has a positive effect as well. For example, have a couple of meatless days a week, or have only one meal with meat in it per day instead of three.

Honored Contributor

@Maudelyn wrote:

Is it possible to ignore the global environment but "fix our own environment"?

In a a word, no. Climate change knows no borders. And no wall will keep it local. "-)

As an aside, I've never personally met anyone who didn't understand the FACTS of climate change. I'm confounded by some of these posts. It is not a "maybe," and it's not a "conspiracy," and it's not a "hoax."

If we don't work on changing what we can change, the consequences will be (and already are) dire.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

A personal anecdote: My aunt and uncle had an amazing house on the beach in Zuma, north of Malibu. I used to visit on occasion from my teens on up to when my daughter was about ten.

Their swath of the beache was aptly called Broad Beach -- the most amazing expanse of white sand from their house to the water.

Fast forward, Broad Beach is no more -- basically just rocks now between the houses and the water.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Pacifica CA beach and cliff erosion.  Pacifica is just a couple of miles south of San Fransico.

beach

Honored Contributor

beach

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The climate has always changed, over time

Exactly!  The weather is cyclical, always has been, and always will be.  Nothing new, move on.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Maudelyn wrote:

Is it possible to ignore the global environment but "fix our own environment"?

In a a word, no. Climate change knows no borders. And no wall will keep it local. "-)

As an aside, I've never personally met anyone who didn't understand the FACTS of climate change. I'm confounded by some of these posts. It is not a "maybe," and it's not a "conspiracy," and it's not a "hoax."

If we don't work on changing what we can change, the consequences will be (and already are) dire.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts exactly.  I thought maybe, just maybe people had become a little more educated over the last few years.

I would suggest for those who want to "move along", that you move along to another planet.  Our won't be such a nice place if the hands over the eyes and fingers plugging the ears folks continue to deny what science has proved beyond even unreasonable doubt.

~Enough is enough~