Honored Contributor

Re: Is it customary to have a baby shower for baby #2 ?

I want to add that in the event of twins/multiples, then I can definitely see having another baby shower.

Also, if there has been a large span of time between the children then the parents may have not kept items they truly will need.

In the end, just do what is right by the child and you  won't  go wrong. : )

Respected Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I really have never understood the idea of showers.  If people want to give you a wedding or baby present they will.  I guess showers just force you to do it.  Same with birthdays.  When my children were small if I had a party and invited the family they gave gifts, if not they did not.  Never understood that. 

I think a shower is a celebration. It is a party to rejoice and share in a child being born. It is time to spend with people you care about and love. It is so much more than a gift and sad for anyone to see it only it terms of buying stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I think that bridal as well as baby showers have become gift grabs!! I'm not cheap.In fact I'm quite generous but I don't appreciate being railroaded into attending fancy catered showers!! If I choose not to attend these events I would be criticized so I attend.Then after when I'm invited to the couple's home or to come see the newborn I have to bring another gift!!

I'm very generous with those people I want to give gifts to but I don't appreciate being put in a position where I have to.Getting married & having a baby is expensive!! If you can't handle the cost don't do it or do it cheaper! When I married & had a baby I refused the bridal & baby showers.We had no money! We paid for our own wedding in a friends backyard! People gave me gifts because they chose to not because they had to!!

I also don't appreciate the bridal/baby registry's.These days when I get invitations to engagement parties,weddings,bridal & baby showers a card is always included instructing the invitee that the recipient wants you to purchase their preselected gifts from certain retailers.I think this is tacky.It is not my responsibility to support other people's lifestyles!  I've even gotten invitations to second bridal showers!! I had to go to keep the peace!!

I've also been asked to give cash to help pay for an expensive 3 week honeymoon in Paris!! When does it end??

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Maybe those people who gave you wedding and baby gifts felt railroaded and thought your life events were "gift grabs" too.?

Lila Belle:Nobody thought that because most of my wedding gifts were from people who were not even invited to the wedding.It was very small! The baby gifts came from people who called & asked if they could come see the baby!! Life events are not gift grabs unless you turn them into gift grabs!!!

You should know better!!

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I want to add that in the event of twins/multiples, then I can definitely see having another baby shower.

Also, if there has been a large span of time between the children then the parents may have not kept items they truly will need.

In the end, just do what is right by the child and you  won't  go wrong. : )

@SahmIam

Excellent point!    If a woman is having twins or triplets, I think a shower is definitely appropriate.  These are extenuating circumstances.

Otherwise, it's just an excuse to have a silly party .... and a bit of a gift grab.  (I hate being roped into having to play stupid games, but that's me.   Maybe others think people enjoy this stuff.)

I also agree with  @Daisy   that it's the parents responsibility to provide for their children .... and if they can't, they shouldn't be having them.  People need to be responsible.   

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

My daughter just had her 2nd baby girl two months ago, and I am throwing a shower for her next month. It will be much smaller than their 1st shower, because they do not need crib, stroller, high chair, etc. Also they had another girl, however her girls were born in different seasons, The 1st child was born in December and this one was born in June, so while she may not need the big items, the small items will come in handy and like another poster posted, it's just nice to celebrate the new baby! 

I have never heard of a shower being held for a baby who is already three months old, though I have attended Baptism receptions for babies this age. 

I would be uncomfortable having a shower for a second child, three months after her birth.  I would just invite people to a gathering to meet the new baby and celebrate.  Most people would bring a gift for such an occasion anyway,

I guess things are different in your neck of the woods. Not wrong, just different.

Congratulations on your new granddaughter.

Our shower which I neglected to mention is going to be very very small 10 people and they are all close family. My daughter said no I don't need a shower, but my sisters said Yes we need to have a little one, so thus the Sprinkle! It will be fun, small and intimate at my home, good food, no games and just a nice little girl's afternoon. I see nothing wrong with that whether the baby has been born or not. Sometimes I say poo poo to these rules that people make up-do what you ant and what feels right for you

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I can't believe so many people get whacked out giving a gift to a baby. 

Smiley Happy

I don't think people 'get whacked out giving a gift'. I think it is about always being expected to attend a social event. 

For many people, when they have showers, they invite not only those close relatives and friends, but many on the fringes of their lives. 

And to go to one shower is more than enough for many of us. We don't particularly enjoy the stupid games, don't really enjoy taking time out of our busy life repeatedly for what is really the same thing. 

We are more than happy to visit mom in the hospital or back at home when she is ready, bring a gift and oohh over the baby, but I think there are probably a lot of people like me who would just as soon skip the constant parties.

For example, one of my cousins has two sons. Both were expecting babies one month apart. I was invited to both baby showers (there had been a reveal party before that), and now, just one year later, one is getting married, and there were both shower and wedding invites for that. I only attended the baby showers.

That is four showers/parties/receptions for the same couple in one year. 

Sorry, but that is just too much. 

Add to it the fact that they actually asked people for money for their wedding so they could go on a honeymoon (after just purchasing two brand new cars, and the bridal party taking a week trip to the beach from Ohio to the Carolinas somewhere!!) rather than give them gifts as they had been living together for two years, and I just said (to myself) enough is enough.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

My daughter just had her 2nd baby girl two months ago, and I am throwing a shower for her next month. It will be much smaller than their 1st shower, because they do not need crib, stroller, high chair, etc. Also they had another girl, however her girls were born in different seasons, The 1st child was born in December and this one was born in June, so while she may not need the big items, the small items will come in handy and like another poster posted, it's just nice to celebrate the new baby! 

I have never heard of a shower being held for a baby who is already three months old, though I have attended Baptism receptions for babies this age. 

I would be uncomfortable having a shower for a second child, three months after her birth.  I would just invite people to a gathering to meet the new baby and celebrate.  Most people would bring a gift for such an occasion anyway,

I guess things are different in your neck of the woods. Not wrong, just different.

Congratulations on your new granddaughter.

To me, if one is going to have a second, third etc. shower or sprinkle, after the birth is kind of nice, as then like another posted mentioned, if special formula is needed or other things that one might not have thought of before, might be more clearly seen once baby is home life is moving ahead.

One thing I always notice at baby showers is there are way too many clothes, and I find that wasteful. I had a baby, and I know how often they can need clean clothing, but some showers the clothing never ends. Babies grow so quickly and much of the fancy clothing hardly gets used before they grow out of it. 

The girls where I worked threw a very small baby shower for myself and my assistant manager as we were due within one week of each other. The best gifts we got were Walmart gift cards. There were things after the birth that I could never have seen needing, and that gift card helped out when I was off work.

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Last winter, my "cousin" had an unusual situation .... her 20-year-old son (in college), had an "oops" baby with his girlfriend.   The girlfriend already had a baby with another boy 15 months prior to getting pregnant with this second child.   No marriage in my cousin's son's future since still in college.

A baby shower was given in this situation which I thought was not appropriate.   

Boy, you went out on a limb with that last statement, but I agree with you @seaBreeze.

Should the families rally and make sure the baby has things it needs, I believe so. But I don't believe in celebrating/rewarding, with parties and extravagant gifts, people who are not ready to make a child the top priority in their lives, and legitimize their lack of proper planning and commitment to giving a child a stable home with two parents.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It probably depends on whether someone wants to throw a shower for the person or not. It's a little excessive to have more than one to me, unless your children are way far apart in age. For instance the son of one of my friends had one child, lost a couple to miscarriages, then 12 years later had another child. You can imagine that they didn't have any baby stuff around, plus their second child was a girl and the first was a boy.

Esteemed Contributor

I see nothing wrong with having punch and finger sandwiches for a small gathering (close family and friends. Nobody on the "fringe") to celebrate the birth of a child.

It's sad that there are those who get all bent out of shape over a celebration like that.

Just do everybody a favor, and stay home if you're going to be that bitter about a happy time like that.