Honored Contributor

Re: Is it customary to have a baby shower for baby #2 ?

@Lila Belle wrote:
Thanks @september. How sad to harbor such hateful feelings toward one's friends, relatives and an innocent new life.

Can you imagine thinking you thought to be a "friend "having such thoughts about you and your baby or your grandchild?

No.  The last shower I attended was for my twin granddaughters-to-be.  I hope no one was grumping that there was a baby #1 AND a baby #2 to "celebrate".  I doubt that the people in my family or my daughter-in-law's family would be so cold and calculating.

Respected Contributor

When someone I know has a baby, I always bring or send a gift.  If they want to invite me to a party, all the better lol

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl:
I don't have friends like that. I have known to grumble about people and their lavish weddings they can't afford and extremely expensive wedding registries but never have I until now heard of people complain about baby showers. Maybe I live under a rock but every baby shower I have been to has been just like the old days....some light snacks/sandwiches, punch, cake some games and normal presents, typically big ticket items are from family and friends usually get clothes, toys or diapers. I have only been to one shower that had more than 20 people.
Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

When someone I know has a baby, I always bring or send a gift.  If they want to invite me to a party, all the better lol

I personally, love a party!  Always happy to bring a gift of some type (or diapers for a baby shower)  I also love shopping for baby items...a cute outfit doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

Respected Contributor

Cake! There is usually cake! If there isn't cake, I may grumble a little. If they substitute a vegetable plate...I will grumble. I will give you a gift...for cake!

Honored Contributor

I personally am not fond of bridal or baby showers.  I do give a gift to close family and friends, but usually don't attend the shower.   

I did not want a bridal shower before I married, but my mother insisted, and I gave in.   However, I absolutely refused to have baby showers for either of my girls.  I knew our families would respond with gifts, even without the shower.   

The nicest shower I ever attended was a household shower for a family at church who lost their house to a fire.   The whole family attended, and they were just so grateful to all be together.   The shower was huge and gift suggestions were given so that everyone in the family received individual items for their new home.  The youngest child received sheets and a matching blanket for his new car bed, and his shrieks of excitement provided a lot of entertainment. There wasn't a dry eye in the church that afternoon, and that was one shower that was certainly not a gift grab.   

Respected Contributor

I like the sprinkle idea with small cute gifts.  Just for fun. Nothing serious.  Or even have guests create an art piece for the nursery.  Keep it simple.

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

Cake! There is usually cake! If there isn't cake, I may grumble a little. If they substitute a vegetable plate...I will grumble. I will give you a gift...for cake!

There you go...I like a positive attitude!

Trusted Contributor

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that it was not considered proper etiquette to have a shower for a second baby.  Also, not proper for the mother or anyone in the family to be the one to throw a shower.

My grandmother gave me a set of Emily Post books that had etiquette rules that dated back to the 1950s.

All my nieces, these days, do throw showers for every baby, and sometimes they are quite elaborate, held in restaraunts, and very big deals.

The annual birthday parties are just as big.

We all do love and welcome every baby.  I don't know who thought these things up.  Maybe the times were different then, with all the young women struggling to buy things for their own children, but they no longer apply and are no longer taught to young ladies anymore.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Every baby deserves a shower, it's not their fault they are #2 or #3 or #4.   Later in life, mom shows pictures of the first shower & nothing for the others?    

@software

If the baby hasn't been born yet, the shower is for the mother .....  not the baby.