Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it customary to have a baby shower for baby #2 ?

@lolakimono wrote:

At work, we have a "sprinkle" when someone has a second baby,  usually when they are a few years a part.  It's more about acknowledging the second baby than stocking a nursery.

I love it - a friend's Son is expecting their second child and she was thinking of having a get-together and not necessarily a Shower for the 2nd baby.  I will tell her about having a 'sprinkle' ... 

Honored Contributor

I've been to showers for baby #2, and one for #3.   I unexpectedly had one given for me for  my second one.  I appreciated it, since the second one was a different sex  and most of the gifts were clothing.

If the second child is close in age to the first, it might also be necessary to have some duplicate baby items like car seats and highchairs.  Also....a double stroller is a must. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have 4 children, though I had offers of a shower each time, after the first baby I suggested we all just go out to lunch or dinner together.

Honored Contributor

If there's one thing I learned as a grandma, anything and everything seems to go these days.

I know several people who had 2 baby showers.  I think it's fine if one is a girl and the other a boy.  Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense unless a few years have gone by as safety things change so quickly (i.e. cribs, etc).

If you don't feel like it makes sense, send or just give a gift card and they can buy diapers with it.

Esteemed Contributor

You've got a choice. Attend and gift or stay home and not gift.
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

If there's one thing I learned as a grandma, anything and everything seems to go these days.

I know several people who had 2 baby showers.  I think it's fine if one is a girl and the other a boy.  Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense unless a few years have gone by as safety things change so quickly (i.e. cribs, etc).

If you don't feel like it makes sense, send or just give a gift card and they can buy diapers with it.

I would rather give the diapers and save mom the chore of going to the store for diapers with a newborn and siblings.

Honored Contributor

Every baby deserves a shower, it's not their fault they are #2 or #3 or #4.   Later in life, mom shows pictures of the first shower & nothing for the others?    

Respected Contributor

My girls, & their friends, all had showers for babies 2 &3. Mainly the showers after the first baby were just fun get togethers & people brought diapers. Some sweethearts brought other things that they thought the family might like. There is a table with small gifts & crafts for the older kids, so that they feel included.

I love the idea of a casseole shower.

I never ever would call something like that a gift grab & that is a mean thought.

Esteemed Contributor

Anyone experiencing such animosity about attending a baby shower should do everyone a favor and stay home.
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Things aren't the way they used to be, that's for sure.  Moms-to-be used to have their shower (usually hosted for them by their own mom or sisters) for the first one and then then they'd resuse much of it for the next one (or two), only needing to update with gender specific items if needed or a special outfit or two if the same gender.  Personally, I see a lot of these young people doing things so differently, planning their own showers and repeating for each new child.  Sorry, but I see that as wasteful and greedy - yes, the term gift grab fits.  JMHO

I agree with your post @JeanLouiseFinch.

Of course if people want to celebrate the impending birth of baby 2, 3, 4, or 5, then they should certainly do that.

Reveal parties are a big thing now, but my understanding is that it isn't a 'gifting' event.

But to hold full fledged showers for subsequent births does seem wasteful. We know a young mother who is having her second baby about two years after the first, and is all over Facebook looking for things like car seat, stroller etc. I want to know what happened to the stuff from the first. People just throw/give away thinking there will be new later, I guess.

Quite frankly with all the children's resale and thrift shops out there, I can't see needing brand new clothing for babies and toddlers at all. So many nice things out there for next to nothing.