Honored Contributor

Re: Is it customary to have a baby shower for baby #2 ?

[ Edited ]

Things aren't the way they used to be, that's for sure.  Moms-to-be used to have their shower (usually hosted for them by their own mom or sisters) for the first one and then then they'd resuse much of it for the next one (or two), only needing to update with gender specific items if needed or a special outfit or two if the same gender.  Personally, I see a lot of these young people doing things so differently, planning their own showers and repeating for each new child.  Sorry, but I see that as wasteful and greedy - yes, the term gift grab fits.  JMHO

Respected Contributor

My cousin had a "sprinkle" for her second baby.   There is a 5 year age difference between her two 

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

At work, we have a "sprinkle" when someone has a second baby,  usually when they are a few years a part.  It's more about acknowledging the second baby than stocking a nursery.

Yes...my daughter is having her first child.....and we are doing the big shower......and everyone said with the second child it is called a "SPRINKLE".....with just immediate family and very close friends....

Trusted Contributor

I am confused, if someone has a second child there are people who actually prefer not to give a gift because they have the first child a gift? Baby showers is the one area for "gift grab" I actually don't mind. I love babies and enjoy the act of giving a gift to celebrate the child's birth. I suppose if you feel that nobody should have a shower for additional children you have the option of just declining and not giving a gift. This is the first time I have heard groaning about second baby showers before. I hate second weddings and giving gifts for people who renew their vows, why do they need anything since they have been married, 10, 20,30+ years. Lol
Super Contributor

every baby should be welcomed!

Honored Contributor

I think there should be a shower for every baby.  Around here a shower for baby 2 is not customary.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Valued Contributor

I have been to second showers and most of them were held after the baby arrived and the sex was known.  They were called "Baby Welcomings" but I suppose a sprinkle is the same thing.  Now most know the sex of the baby ahead of the birth, so they don't need to wait.

My boys were 5-6 years apart and we had moved in between, so new friends gave me showers. 

My 3rd shower was wonderful.... a casserole shower!  Everyone brought a frozen meal!  Having 2 children waiting at home made these meals so appreciated!!

Respected Contributor

I think if you were not invited to the wedding but given an invitation to the baby shower you'd be a real sucker to hand over a gift for their newborns. 

Trusted Contributor

The baby showers I have attended the past several years have been hugh.  Thirty to forty people in a rented place such as the public room at a fire station.  They are totally decorated.  It is a big deal.  These ladies did not have a shower for number 2.   I still bought gifts for the new babies because I wanted to.   I have certain ones I still get gifts for when I find something special on sale.  I am a sucker for babies and young children.