Honored Contributor

Re: Is it a boy or girl name

I had an Aunt Fanny, an Aunt Nettie, and -- the piece de resistance -- an Aunt Hermal.

Not seeing those trending lately. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I had an Aunt Fanny, an Aunt Nettie, and -- the piece de resistance -- an Aunt Hermal.

Not seeing those trending lately. :-)

@suzyQ3. My best friends Mother in high school was named Fanny.

Honored Contributor

DH had an Aunt Opal, Aunt Ruby, And Aunt Pearl...they were all born in the ‘20s...next came the flowers....Myrtle, Flora, Daisy, Ivy, Lily.
Ruby and Lily are popular again.
Esteemed Contributor

Could be either, boy or girl.

Respected Contributor

I guess they are making names unisex for those that can't decide what sex they want to be. As far as I am concerned you are what God made you & you don't change it because you would rather be the other sex.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Equuleus wrote:

My thoughts/feelings is that people do things like that for no other reason to be different and get attention.  River is not a name whether it's for a boy or girl, it's a thing. 

I disagree.  For awhile now, lots of parents have chosen to give their children unusual names, so it really doesn't get a lot of attention anymore.  I think they choose names because they like the names, same as it's always been.

I also think that parents should be able to name their children whatever they want.  Personally, I wouldn't give my child a name with very unusual spelling because I would imagine them spending the rest of their lives correcting people who misspelled it.  (On the other hand, my last name is pretty simple, but is mispronounced all the time!)

And yes, a River is a thing, but it also can be a name.  A Rose is a thing too, and lots of people for many generations have thought it was a beautiful name.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I guess they are making names unisex for those that can't decide what sex they want to be. As far as I am concerned you are what God made you & you don't change it because you would rather be the other sex.

@CLHS68, wow, so all the people who choose any of the names we discussed here are doing so because of a question of gender? Let me thing about that.

Uh, no. But of course it does flow into your next theory, which btw, would preclude, oh, a whole bunch of medical procedures that "change" us.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

In my neighborhood we have Sheridan, Morgan and Cameron.  All female and all in college now.  The male children are Bradley, Austin and Jasper.  The males are grade school age.  

Esteemed Contributor

MY name is either male or female

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Names evolve and change over time. I’d rather have a name that goes with the times.When my Great Grandmother was born her Mother thought it appropriate to name her Matilda. When Matilda’s daughter was born she thought it appropriate to name her Mabel.

Yuk to both but they were the names of the times.

Now we have different names. 

Exactly.  

There's nothing wrong with new names that reflect the times.  And I like a little variety too.  

(There have always, btw, been names that were both male and female, going back a very long time.. I think there are a lot of names now that can be either, and I have no problem with that.  It doesn't matter to me if I don't know if it's a boy or girl based solely on the name.  Why would I care?)