Honored Contributor

Re: Is it a boy or girl name

Unisex names are nothing new. I went to school with a boy named Gale. Remember Gale Gordon?

I also remember Dana Andrews , another man.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly the only people I've met who have given their child the name River were all boys.  But now a days people seem to be giving their kids names that used to be boys names to girls (Sydney used to be a exculsive males name, but I can't remember a man having that name under the age of 80).   Kimberly, Beverly, and Morgan all used to be mans name.  Same thing, I can't remember meeting a male Morgan other than Morgan Freeman (who I've never met. Just making a poin!).

I dislike people making cutsey ways of spelling their kids name.  Which is fine when the kid is 2, but parets forget that the child is going to be 50 one day.  Jaxon is cute when he is 2, but a 50 year old Jaxon vs Jackson is unprofessional.   Same with names like Emmilee vs. Emily, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hopefully as millennials and generations that follow replace older generations "running things" gender neutral names, unique names and unique spellings won't influence their perception of the individual.

Personally, my perceptions are shaded/influenced more by what people have  chosen for their "screen names".

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Some go way too far........I know someone who named their child after an automobile brand..............

Chevy Chase?

😁

Honored Contributor

Names evolve and change over time. I’d rather have a name that goes with the times.When my Great Grandmother was born her Mother thought it appropriate to name her Matilda. When Matilda’s daughter was born she thought it appropriate to name her Mabel.

Yuk to both but they were the names of the times.

Now we have different names. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

It is very common now that names have become unisex.

Morgan

Mason

Jesse/Jessie

Robin

Kendall

Ryan

Tyler

Taylor

Sidney/Sydney

Also Shannon, Sean, Riley, Reagan, and Terry I have seen used for both boys and girls

Regular Contributor

@cherry I was brought up to think of the name Dana as a male's name, but I don't think I've seen a male Dana since Dana Andrews. FWIW, this is a female name now.

Esteemed Contributor

After my DIL had their baby girl, someone asked my son if they had a boy or girl. His reply was, “ I don’t know, I haven’t asked it yet.” It was tongue in cheek of course, but a sign of a bit of fatigue at some of the nonsense going on.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Some go way too far........I know someone who named their child after an automobile brand..............

Chevy Chase?

😁

@Ms tyrion2  Actually, that's pretty close....but not exact.   It IS a GM product..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi  Ford?  Mercedes?