Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it Okay for a Museum to Sell Gifts of Art?

I enjoy a lot of PBS programs.  Their documentaries are top notch.

But I simply do not understand their obsession with British shows.  At least vary it a little.  Maybe every once in a while have a Korean drama, for example.  But it's all British dramas for them.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde

I've been a PBS fan and member for decades.  PBS has been putting on LGBTQ films and documentaries for uncountable years, with the support of their members.

I don't believe for one minute members have turned from supporting LGBTQ films and rights to not supporting them.

Is there a wild chance the other side is doing it?  Oh, I think so.

No doubt, @Noel7

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was a supervisor of a museum for years.  Deaccessioning is long process, and can be done, even when given as a gift.    Most museums do not buy exhibit pieces .  They are donated.  Years ago museums just took everything.  Then artifacts get broken, the begin to rot, rust, etc....or is never exhibited because it is not relevant to thestory of the museum, or there is no room.  I ithink museums have become more selective out of necessity.  Room and money!  Protein based artifacts require a different temp and storage than wood, paper, metels, etc.  and visa versa.

we sold a huge vase ( like 6 ft tall) that had nothing to do with the story of our city.  It was exhibited for years, and had become slightly crazed in spots,and just a horror to maintain its' cleanliness. Same for some art pieces.  We had to receive permission from council, then the long process began.  We had to contact all descendants of items.  We had them sign away all rights to items.  They did not want the items!!!  Then we had to fill out papers with the state.  Then we auctioned the items.  We sold the vase for a huge amount of money.  We had to deposit the money in a trust with the city.  We get the interest each year.  In this case we could not just take the money and use it for the museum, sadly.  Most City museum items actually belong to the citizens of that city, we keep them in perpatuity for the citizens.  Anyway.  Museums can sell items.  Unless they have been donated with strict regulations or are Native American articacts.  Then you have to go the Indian councils, and give them back.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde

I've been a PBS fan and member for decades.  PBS has been putting on LGBTQ films and documentaries for uncountable years, with thehttps://community.qvc.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/35/message-id/1126523# support of their members.

I don't believe for one minute members have turned from supporting LGBTQ films and rights to not supporting them.

@Noel7  So there are PBS supporters and there is "the other side?"  Therein lies the problem.  You are lumping people into broad categories without a reason to do so.  You ASSUME what people believe because they either support or don't support PBS, or are or are not members.  

Pretty big assumptions about folks isn't it?  

Honored Contributor

Very interesting, @shoekitty - thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 And @Sooner,

As far as broadening PBS programming - not that this is exactly that, because PBS has always had programs dealing with LGBT issues, but in 2018 for Pride month, Masterpiece Theatre will be showing a British program titled "The Man in the Orange Shirt" which is getting rave reviews in the UK right now. Those who watch Grantchester know that it deals in part with what it meant to be gay in 1950s Britain. "Orange" is set in the 1940s.

You'd think PBS audiences would be broad-minded and enlightened, hardly narrow-minded bigots, but you shold see the comments people are writing on the FB page. Good grief, a cross between a pointy hat rally and 16th C Puritans. So much for PBS broadening horizons.

Sorry OP, for going off-topic, but since they both mentioned PBS...  I know museums have similar issues with some of their exhibits.

People have a lot of beliefs that I don't agree with.  However, I don't think name calling helps anything.   I can't typecase anyone on a single issue, I can't understand who they are by simplyl writing people off as narrow-minded bigots without knowing how they feel about a lot of things and how their heart is.  A lot of good people believe different things.

Therein lies a lot of our problems.  We don't give people credit for being anything but idiots unless they believe like we do down the line.  And I'm making that comment about "enlightened" people on both side of the fence.  If we got to know one another we wouldn't have these issues.  We could talk and be civil and maybe come to a better understanding.

@Sooner, I, too, think that you are inferring something that @Moonchilde did not say.

Have you ever read the posts to articles in newspapers? Holy Moley, you need to take a shower after some of them. I'm talking ugly, hateful, misogynist, homophobic, racist vomit.

We're not talking "beliefs" here; we're talking about the swamp dwellers. Two very different issues. I personally will never condone what Moon is referring to or in any way legitimize it as just a matter of a different point of view.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde

I've been a PBS fan and member for decades.  PBS has been putting on LGBTQ films and documentaries for uncountable years, with thehttps://community.qvc.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/35/message-id/1126523# support of their members.

@Noel7  So there are PBS supporters and there is "the other side?"  Therein lies the problem.  You are lumping people into broad categories without a reason to do so.  You ASSUME what people believe because they either support or don't support PBS, or are or are not members.  

Pretty big assumptions about folks isn't it?  

@Sooner

Did you miss the point?  Those who don't support LGBTQ are SAYING THEY DON'T.  We don't have to assume anything 🙄

Honored Contributor

If this museum can't pay it's bills without selling valuable, not junk, art work then they should close it and transfer this art that's been entrusted to them to other museums. 

As to PBS, I don't support it because they edit British productions to allow time for commercials. If their programing is meant to be special than their cutting devalues it. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 And @Sooner,

As far as broadening PBS programming - not that this is exactly that, because PBS has always had programs dealing with LGBT issues, but in 2018 for Pride month, Masterpiece Theatre will be showing a British program titled "The Man in the Orange Shirt" which is getting rave reviews in the UK right now. Those who watch Grantchester know that it deals in part with what it meant to be gay in 1950s Britain. "Orange" is set in the 1940s.

You'd think PBS audiences would be broad-minded and enlightened, hardly narrow-minded bigots, but you shold see the comments people are writing on the FB page. Good grief, a cross between a pointy hat rally and 16th C Puritans. So much for PBS broadening horizons.

Sorry OP, for going off-topic, but since they both mentioned PBS...  I know museums have similar issues with some of their exhibits.

People have a lot of beliefs that I don't agree with.  However, I don't think name calling helps anything.   I can't typecase anyone on a single issue, I can't understand who they are by simplyl writing people off as narrow-minded bigots without knowing how they feel about a lot of things and how their heart is.  A lot of good people believe different things.

Therein lies a lot of our problems.  We don't give people credit for being anything but idiots unless they believe like we do down the line.  And I'm making that comment about "enlightened" people on both side of the fence.  If we got to know one another we wouldn't have these issues.  We could talk and be civil and maybe come to a better understanding.

@Sooner, I, too, think that you are inferring something that @Moonchilde did not say.

Have you ever read the posts to articles in newspapers? Holy Moley, you need to take a shower after some of them. I'm talking ugly, hateful, misogynist, homophobic, racist vomit.

We're not talking "beliefs" here; we're talking about the swamp dwellers. Two very different issues. I personally will never condone what Moon is referring to or in any way legitimize it as just a matter of a different point of view.

That's it exactly, @suzyQ3. Not a polite, time-for-tea disagreement, but rock bottom snail slime being as nasty as they can get away with. It's not okay.

QVC Customer Care