Respected Contributor

Re: Is everyone on vacation or something?

On 8/10/2014 dooBdoo said:

This is getting really old. I've seen complaints about not enough moderation and too much moderation since I started posting here. I still haven't seen anything new or different here since the surveys and I still think it's all anticipatory worry.

I'm not aware of anyone MIA right now, but I have seen posters leave in the past 6 months, maybe longer, and that certainly had nothing to do with any changes in moderation. It was all about the personal attacks and ganging up on individual posters. I'm beginning to think those who enjoyed such activities are the ones afraid they'll be scrutinized a bit more now, and they're upset by that. I wrote it before, in one of the threads about possible changes to the community: those who break the laws always complain the loudest about stricter laws and more law enforcement.

As for trying to "shame" any of us who posted openly about wishing for posters to be more considerate and for the community to be more professionally managed, that's really getting old too.

And the Members Online list? Some of the same people who said the fact that their name was there "all day" meant nothing because the list was inaccurate are the same people now complaining because they now say it helped them find posters who were actually online. You can't get more contradictory than that.

Exactly! You said it way more succinctly than I. Thank you.

Respected Contributor

On 8/10/2014 dooBdoo said:

This is getting really old. I've seen complaints about not enough moderation and too much moderation since I started posting here. I still haven't seen anything new or different here since the surveys and I still think it's all anticipatory worry.

I'm not aware of anyone MIA right now, but I have seen posters leave in the past 6 months, maybe longer, and that certainly had nothing to do with any changes in moderation. It was all about the personal attacks and ganging up on individual posters. I'm beginning to think those who enjoyed such activities are the ones afraid they'll be scrutinized a bit more now, and they're upset by that. I wrote it before, in one of the threads about possible changes to the community: those who break the laws always complain the loudest about stricter laws and more law enforcement.

As for trying to "shame" any of us who posted openly about wishing for posters to be more considerate and for the community to be more professionally managed, that's really getting old too.

And the Members Online list? Some of the same people who said the fact that their name was there "all day" meant nothing because the list was inaccurate are the same people now complaining because they now say it helped them find posters who were actually online. You can't get more contradictory than that.

Exactly.

Honored Contributor

Good post, dooB. I'm tired of the you got what you wished for refrain.
Super Contributor

On 8/10/2014 tansy said: Good post, dooB. I'm tired of the you got what you wished for refrain.

I agree with both of you.

I don't even know for sure what "you got what you asked for" means.

I don't see all that much change here except maybe the attempts to antagonize are a bit more subtle or the openly antagonistic posts get poofed quicker.

Super Contributor

There is that old saying, you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all people all of the time. I think I would call this a WASH!
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Gooday, Buck-i-Nana, tansy, and azterry!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

On 8/10/2014 azterry! said:
On 8/10/2014 tansy said: Good post, dooB. I'm tired of the you got what you wished for refrain.

I agree with both of you.

I don't even know for sure what "you got what you asked for" means.

I don't see all that much change here except maybe the attempts to antagonize are a bit more subtle or the openly antagonistic posts get poofed quicker.

Another BINGO here.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

And some things NEVER change.

Personally, I like that the boards are more peaceful.

Super Contributor

ITA. I barely come here. Same old topics hang around forever. Hardly anything new or interesting anymore.

Honored Contributor

On 8/10/2014 BonnieBelle said:

ITA. I barely come here. Same old topics hang around forever. Hardly anything new or interesting anymore.

Hi, BonnieBelle! Actually, people have been making the same comment for years.

I hope you'll continue to post on the community. And start interesting threads, yourself.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova