Respected Contributor

Re: Is anyone watching the AC Special Report - Being 13??

this show was quite disturbing. the parents almost seemed to laugh off some seriously wrong activities after watching their little darlings and seeing their text messages.  one mother got a tad bit defensive of how her little angel was portrayed.

the advice the sociologists gave to parents was, sign up for the smartphone plan yourself, be on social media, talk to your kids, engage them in conversation.

sorry but in most cases it's the tail wagging the dog. parents give in too readily to their kids' demands. and kids will lie and cover up the truth,  because they have the social currency in hand.   it matters little what their parents expect, and EVERYTHING with how they are judged by their misguided peers.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who raised 2 wonderful daughters and a brother & SIL who raised 12 good kids - the one thing they both had in common was that the ONLY computer in the house was in the family room where the entire family spent most of their time. It was not unusual for my SIL to casually walk over to her kid when on the computer and sit down to read what he/she was reading and writing. Also, in both families the kids had cell phones but they were tracfone type of phones so there was some budgetting of use necessary, and in the case of my Brother's kids - the phones were to be left on the kitchen counter in a basket when the kids were at home. Too much control? - i don't think so. If parents would make more effort to be involved in their kids social media the kids would naturally be more responsible about their use.

Honored Contributor

Sorry, no, we're watching the wildcard game.

Honored Contributor

@FUTURE@ValuSkr@151949@CatsyCline@ROMARY

Me too... Glad I'm not raising a child today.

Come to think of it, the past two years (before I retired ) many students would become extremely agitated when I had to take their phones -- EXTREMELY.  I always thought they were just waiting for the message on a drug deal. Oh this sounds so bad.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Now middle schoolers have the new app Peeple to further exploit them and to be used for bullying. No matter how parents say they monitor this kiddos somehow find a way to circumvent parental parameters.

Respected Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

@151949 wrote:

OH MY! So glad I am not raising kids in todays world.

Me too!  

Me too too! I am also glad not to BE a child being raised in today's world! I feel sorry for them.