Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone "not" into Thanksgiving?

I could take it or leave it, I would be just as happy to stay home with a pot of meatballs and sausage and some sort of pasta.  I know, so Un-Thanksgiving but I'm no longer a fan of turkey.

I just don't get the days and of hours of preparing food to have it be over with in an hour or two, or why the entire harvest has to be used up for one meal.

Regular Contributor

When I was young, I dreaded Thanksgiving. My mom always invited around 30-40 relatives and our house would be crammed with loud, annoying family. My sister and I would be stuck doing the dishes until all hours of the night afterwards.

Now that I'm older, I miss those days. Our Thanksgiving is pretty small this year. Just my husband and I and my parents. No siblings, relatives or extended family. Seems like they do get smaller every year as people drift apart, move away, or have families of their own.

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom I just roll them in spices and olive oil.  Pop in the oven and baste with lemon juice.....a lot!

@Carmie Come on over....mid-afternoon!

@Noel7 We don't do things by the book in my crazy family....you know that!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

Thanksgiving was always a big deal in DH's family when his parents were alive. All the siblings who lived out of town and their kids would come. It grew as grandkids married and had kids. DH & I took it over after his parents died (10 & 8 years ago). At first it was about 25 of us. But the grandchildren are living their own lives now, one of the siblings is dead. and for the very 1st time the youngest sibling is not coming. So it's gotten smaller, and this year will be only 4 of us (even the friends that often come won't be this year). We'll still have turkey, dressing, gravy, veggies and pumpkin pie, but on a much smaller scale--and I don't have to do all the work, as my sister-in-law will bring about half the meal, PLUS she loves to do cleanup...I'm not kidding! No matter how many we've had over the years, the only thing left for me to do afterwards is wash the tablecloths!

Even if it were just DH & me--we don't have children--we'd cook a turkey, etc. We both love it, and the leftovers! It's just a time to thank God for all our blessings.

Honored Contributor

i absolutely love thanksgiving and this time of the year all the way through mid january.

i am NOT surprised by the number of people who say they dont care for thanksgiving at all. there have been numerous threads where this has been evident, including this one. exactly why i didnt fully understand some who insisted that the day of thanksgiving be a time off for everyone. evidently people who dont enjoy the day still go out and do what they like......eating out, movies, shopping, football games, and watching holiday themed programming.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to disagree, but I love Thanksgiving. It’s a holiday that all Americans can celebrate, giving thanks for the bounty that our ancestors only dreamed about. For those of us whose parents and grandparents escaped oppression and hardship to come to America, Thanksgiving really resonates. My family and I remember the sacrifices our ancestors made and enjoy the harvest feast.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MickD wrote:

@jaxs mom I just roll them in spices and olive oil.  Pop in the oven and baste with lemon juice.....a lot!

@Carmie Come on over....mid-afternoon!

@Noel7 We don't do things by the book in my crazy family....you know that!

@MickDI might have told you that I made Dolma years ago, I love them and was taught by an Armenian lady.  Anyway, DD bought some for me in the fresh food dept of Costco the other day.  The grape leaves were so heavy and thick I couldn't chew them, it was like chewing leather.  I've never had grape leaves like that.

Honored Contributor

I miss with all my heart the way the holidays use to be,i so miss my hubby,and son,and all the others.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie. I loved reading your post and for putting the reason for Thanksgiving in the proper perspective.  You are absolutely correct.

I like Thanksgiving also for all the reasons you mentioned.

Overeating and football are modern day distortions of the original purpose.

I am not a big fan of Christmas primarily because we have strayed so far from "the reason for the season."

Contributor

Thanksgiving is my favorite Holiday!  The true meaning of Christmas (Jesus's birth) has been lost so I don't enjoy it. I am actually glad when it is over.