Respected Contributor

Re: Is anyone NOT watching wall-to-wall storm coverage?

No TV, and not doing it online.

I was immersed in the horrors of Katrina b/c I had relatives directly impacted, but I don't with the current catastrophe and I don't want the images in my head. Doesn't help anyone, and it negatively impacts me. 

Respected Contributor

Yes I'm watching because I live here in the middle of it. My house almost flooded twice in the last 5 days. I haven't left the house since last Thursday. The coverage is not sad it's actually good seeing the people out there helping each other. So many people rescuing people who don't have to do it. I'd say it's the best of mankind not all the ugliness the news portrays all the time. All races helping each other without a thought of the color of their skin or views on things in the world. 

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@esmerelda  I'm not watching it; I don't watch the news.

I get my updates online.

Me, too.

After 9/11, I stopped watching the news.  I follow Twitter.  I know what's going on, I see limited photos.

If I need to read more, I can click on a link to read more.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

No, I AM watching it; not only am I a 'weather channel Junkie' (not exactly a 'good-thing'), but this time, I really really got caught-up-in-it, for one of my dearest friends, her son, who I have known since birth, is not only a emergency/trauma room Doctor he is also a licensed helicopter pilot who has been doing this for years and is involved in this Catastrophe going on in Houston....he lives there. His home flooded, but he made sure that his wife and child got Out BEFORE the poop-hit-the-fan. Working 10-16 hours shifts at the moment; sometimes in the air and sometimes....on the ground. 

So, I am watching. And I pray for his Safety and ALL of those that are so severely affected by this TERRIBLE Catastrophe. Smiley Sad

I do understand though, for many different reasons 'why'...some of us... just cannot.. do that. 

blessings

moondust

Honored Contributor

I don't have broadcast tv, so no. 

Trusted Contributor

I watch it in spurts. It upsets me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I tune in once or twice.......I HATE when they are shoving microphones in people that were just rescued an ask them how they are doing...

They are soaking wet and have probably lost everything they own....How do you think they feel......SMH

----------------

Exactly my feelings...I find it so intrusive and insensitive!!  They bombard these wet, cold, upset people just to get a TV shot!!!

I also hate the news people - trying to find fault by playing the game of "who didn't order the mandatory evacuation"!  

Please TV news ... focus on those amazing people who are participating in the rescue efforts.  

Respected Contributor

corita wrote: I also hate the news people - trying to find fault by playing the game of "who didn't order the mandatory evacuation"!  

Please TV news ... focus on those amazing people who are participating in the rescue efforts.  

For the most part I'm seeing the news be positive.Of course I'm watching local news so it's different. Only time I've seen the blame game is in the news conferences and yeh that irritates me. I live here and believe me we don't leave everytime they say a big storm is coming. Most people don't have the money to do so anyway. Imagine trying to tell everyone in New York and surrounding areas to leave now because an attack is immenent nothing happens and then repeat that many times where nothing happens. Eventually people don't believe it and won't leave. It happens and they're surprised. With this one though we only heard about it Wednesday afternoon and by Friday our street was flooded to the point we could not get out. Luckily for us the water drained off twice. My 2 oldest kids live in a condo on the third story the first floor flooded in the middle of the night and their cars were underwater so they were stuck. Luckily someone got them out and they are safe along with my grandog. This came on quick there is just no way everyone could have gotten out in time. The freeways would have been at a stand still and that happened before. 

Respected Contributor

@corita, after Hurricane Charley hit here, I only wish I could have seen somebody from the media: I have NO DOUBT, they would have loaned me their satellite cell phone to let my family and DH's family know that we survived-and were ok.

In this situation, electricity is out, towers are down-I bet there were families out of that area who were thrilled to see their near and dear alive.

I have also seen reporters-journalists-rescuing people. They were not doing it for photo ops either. They care about saving lives-they are humans.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm working but I'm home, I could watch it but I'm not.  I'm just not the type of person who immerses herself in tragedy and doom&gloom.  I can't change any of it and nothing new is happening.  They are just running the same stuff over and over and over again.  I'll get caught up on the evening news tonight.  

@chrystaltree

Ditto ..... I've made a couple generous donations and catch the evening news update.  Watching the news depresses me .....  and doesn't help the people in Houston one bit.