Respected Contributor

Re: Is anybody else as afraid of heights as I am?

I hate heights!

Esteemed Contributor

Right there with you!!!

Respected Contributor

On 11/2/2014 loveschocolate said:

I am also afraid of heights. Most people love roller coasters. They are one of my worst nightmares.

Mine too. I've been asked what's the worst that could happen and it's happened here two or three times at parks this past summer. The coaster gets near the top and stops cold and the people have to get out and walk down the catwalks along the side. OMG I'd die!

Esteemed Contributor

Your post reminds me so much of some of my own experiences! I get tingles up my spine if I look out the window from an office 10 floors up, even with some views of things on TV the same thing happens. I don't like escalators or elevators. I've had a problem with heights most of my life. I drove over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge many times when I was younger, but I can't do that 200 foot above the water span now (only if someone else is driving). As you said, I had to be slightly inebriated to allow someone to get me on the outside elevator to go up to the revolving restaurant at the top of Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta a number of years ago - I stood facing the wall. But after imbibing a little (maybe a lot) more, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride down and the view of Atlanta at night! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Even though I'm so afraid of heights, I did manage to go up 1,100 feet in a hot air balloon when I was in my thirties and fly over a city ... the pilot was a hoot, and he even brought us down to the tops of trees telling us to grab hold and see if we could stop the balloon. Yeah, right!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

There is a Youtube video I discovered quite by accident a few days ago, if anyone would be interested in it. It's called the Deadliest Hike in the World: Mount Huashan,China or "The Plank Road in the Sky".

It's on the side of a mountain in China at an elevation of 7,000 feet, and it's basically three board planks attached together to make a walkway on the side of a mountain and the drop is thousands of feet straight down. People attach themselves to a cable that's attached to the rock face of the mountain ... this is the most unreal thing I've ever seen in my life, and in my opinion, anyone who does it has to be totally nuts! It's safe to go to this video, I've watched it several times and my computer is fine, no viruses or anything.

I don't know how to put in a working link, but this is the address for your browser that will take you to it if you're interested. It is wild, and that's an understatement!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIQrgUV8wAE&spfreload=1

Respected Contributor

Kittymom, this is how bad I am-I don't think I could watch that video....there are times when I can watch "panaramic soaring" on television, then other times, it just sends me into full blown panic. If I had to deal with high bridges frequently, such as the George Washington in NYC, or the Anyway in Tampa, I would need to seek treatment-no question. Poodlepet
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/2/2014 Poodlepet said: Kittymom, this is how bad I am-I don't think I could watch that video....there are times when I can watch "panaramic soaring" on television, then other times, it just sends me into full blown panic. If I had to deal with high bridges frequently, such as the George Washington in NYC, or the Anyway in Tampa, I would need to seek treatment-no question. Poodlepet

I'm with you on that. About 20 years ago, I drove my car across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge following a friend on our way to Ocean City, MD for a vacation. A couple of days later I realized I couldn't drive back! The bridge authority would only take you across at certain times back then, but luckily my brother-in-law had a business on the Eastern Shore. We wound up taking my car and leaving it there (then we went back to the beach), my sister drove him to his office the next day, and then he drove my car back to their house. I was going to spend the night with them anyway on my way home, but all that because I couldn't drive myself back across that bridge! {#emotions_dlg.scared} {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Super Contributor

No, not heights as such. Edges. I am scared of high up edges. I could go in a plane, which is a great height, but it's all enclosed so it's OK. I don't like being on the edge of the roof of a skyscraper at all.

And I hate, hate, hate panoramic elevators. Stupidest idea ever.

Honored Contributor

Don't like heights at all, nor the vertigo that comes with them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I am not afraid of heights, but my husband is. He wont go on a high ladder, he will never ever fly in a plane (plus his best friend was killed in a plane crash). I on the other hand think planes are safer than the highway and flew all the time when I was younger.

However, I am claustrophobic. I mainly hate elevators! I don't like MRI machines (which I go in regularly for my spine pics, and have gotten used to now. But they still don't thrill me).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

We've eaten at the revolving restaurant on the top of the Stratosphere and it was so much fun plus the views spectacular but you couldn't pay me to go on any of the rides on the roof.