Respected Contributor

Is anybody else as afraid of heights as I am?

I am watching The Today Show and they were just showing the wires that Nic Wallenda will be on tonight: I got light headed and panicky....I also get that way in Imax theaters-especially if soaring heights are involved. Needless to say, I have zero aspirations to see the Grand Canyon, and one of the worst experiences of my life was taking a "scenic" elevator to the Rainbow Room in NYC. It was for a party, and let me tell you I got nicely inebriated in preparation for the trip down. Is anybody else out there as phobic as I am? I have no desire to change-I am perfectly fine with avoidance! Poodlepet
Regular Contributor

Re: Is anybody else as afraid of heights as I am?

Oh, yeah.. hate heights...

I am so short, I have a fear of falling off curbs!

Honored Contributor

I am also afraid of heights. Most people love roller coasters. They are one of my worst nightmares.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Terrified.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

I don't even like steps that have no back on them. (Like some apartment stairs).

Regular Contributor

Absolutely terrified. Our mall has an open 2nd floor with railing & I have to walk right up against the store fronts to avoid it. When I see children looking over the rail it gives me chills.
Respected Contributor

Margot, I am the same way-This is stupid, but I can't walk on piers if they are open-a source of a real problem if your DH boats....the crazy thing is, most piers I have been on are only 2-3 ft above water and I can swim....some malls make me agoraphobia, and escalators???? I always make sure I can find the elevators. Poodlepet
Esteemed Contributor

I have a fear of heights & won't even get on a stepladder. Once, years ago I climbed on our roof & ended up there for hours, afraid to come down. No fear of piers though.

Honored Contributor

I have a real problem with heights and I think most of it is because I suffer from Vertigo.

I even have a problem with it when watching tv shows and movies, etc. if they do a panoramic high sweeping shot or run over to the side of a roof on a tall building, etc. I get that swaying feeling.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Frequent Contributor

Poodletpet I don't do escalators or high stairs because my legs start getting weak and shaky and I'm very afraid of high places.