Honored Contributor

Re: Is Your Walmart Doing a Bait and Switch Game?

@froggy 

I do shop elsewhere.  I have not set my foot in Walmart since that happened in July and I plan never to do so again.  

Trusted Contributor

Just wanted to clarify that store brand items don't make a lot more money for the stores. The point of them is usually store loyalty. If you buy a bunch of Walmart or CVS or Walgreens items and they are inexpensive and good you are likely to return to buy more. 

As for the other problems, turn off substitutions and the problem is solved. I only leave it on for things I really don't care about. 

Respected Contributor

That isn't bait and switch, as others have stated. I have an example of bait and switch.

I saw an ad for a grill I wanted at Target. It was perfect and at a great price. I got there when the store opened the day the ad went into effect. The grill I wanted was on display.

Surprise! They didn't have it in stock, however, and weren't getting anymore in. But, they had a bigger more expensive one that was in stock.

Nope! I left.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

I don't call that bait and switch at all!

They are not trying to lure you into purchasing a more expensive item while advertising lesser.

You are using a service that is doing its best to provide what is on your list.  There are going to be subs of course.  They will not have everything exactly as you want it.

Be thankful there is even these kinds of services.

If you are not satisfied with their shopping for you and are unable to go yourself, maybe a family member could go for you.  That way you could be on the phone with them and guide them through exactly what you want.

@RespectLife It IS bait and switch because I don't want their house brand products, I want the brand name product they say they have when I order, then don't tell me they don't have until I can't delete the item.

They make more profit when they sell me their own brand, that I don't want, than the national brand I do want.

It's a business not a charity and they are playing a game of switching things on the order to things that are more profitable to them, and luring people to order saying they have things hard to get when they really don't have them in stock.

And no, I don't have someone to shop for me, wouldn't ask that anyway.  

We live near enough a Whole Foods to go every few weeks and they are always upfront about what they have and don't have.  

What makes me mad about Walmart is they have a computerized inventory and it's that they cancel or switch at the last minute, after you are allowed to agree or disagree with the decision. 

I dislike Walmart's House Brands - and they are only a few cents cheaper. Sounds like they're playing games.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

I don't call that bait and switch at all!

They are not trying to lure you into purchasing a more expensive item while advertising lesser.

You are using a service that is doing its best to provide what is on your list.  There are going to be subs of course.  They will not have everything exactly as you want it.

Be thankful there is even these kinds of services.

If you are not satisfied with their shopping for you and are unable to go yourself, maybe a family member could go for you.  That way you could be on the phone with them and guide them through exactly what you want.

@RespectLife It IS bait and switch because I don't want their house brand products, I want the brand name product they say they have when I order, then don't tell me they don't have until I can't delete the item.

They make more profit when they sell me their own brand, that I don't want, than the national brand I do want.

It's a business not a charity and they are playing a game of switching things on the order to things that are more profitable to them, and luring people to order saying they have things hard to get when they really don't have them in stock.

And no, I don't have someone to shop for me, wouldn't ask that anyway.  

We live near enough a Whole Foods to go every few weeks and they are always upfront about what they have and don't have.  

What makes me mad about Walmart is they have a computerized inventory and it's that they cancel or switch at the last minute, after you are allowed to agree or disagree with the decision. 

I dislike Walmart's House Brands - and they are only a few cents cheaper. Sounds like they're playing games.

I do like a couple of their house brand items and of course, you can't get them anywhere else.

I LOVE their corn & bean salsa. It's the best salsa I've ever had from a jar.

They also have, as strange as it sounds, really good oyster crackers, better than any national brand. I like snacking on them. Really good!

Respected Contributor

I have used Walmart drive up since March and now I use delivery. I have had few problems. If you don't want substitutions, just check the box on you app. Although more than once they have subsituted a name brand item for a walmart brand item that I ordered. For instance, I ordered Equate Acetaminophen and they substituted the same amount of the brand Tylenol and only charged me the Equate price. I always check my delivery order and if something is missing, I note that on the app. and they always have refunded my money. I am very satisfied and this has been a lifesaver for me during this pandemic. I feel bad for the workers, they work hard and you can't leave a tip. 

Esteemed Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I have used Walmart drive up since March and now I use delivery. I have had few problems. If you don't want substitutions, just check the box on you app. Although more than once they have subsituted a name brand item for a walmart brand item that I ordered. For instance, I ordered Equate Acetaminophen and they substituted the same amount of the brand Tylenol and only charged me the Equate price. I always check my delivery order and if something is missing, I note that on the app. and they always have refunded my money. I am very satisfied and this has been a lifesaver for me during this pandemic. I feel bad for the workers, they work hard and you can't leave a tip. 

always  give them a tip. Always.  Who says you can't? These people work in a dangerous job right now and I want them to know I appreciate it. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We have been doing grocery pickups and two things are a pattern with them.

First of all,  unless you say no substitutes, you get their store brands for a LOT of products.

Second, they always say they have wipes and things hard to find.  So even if you don't allow substitutions on these, after it's all said and done, at the last minute when you can't change or cancel, guess what?  They are out of these and you can't get any.

AND they are holding funds on your card for the whole amount.  I see a dirty pattern of bait and switch and a shell game of what they have and don't have going on here and it makes me mad! 

@Sooner 

I don’t want substitutes so I don’t allow them. It makes sense that they would substitute with their own brand if they have a comparable one.

I’ve noticed the hold. It is probably easier to hold for the entire amount than to adjust it. They don’t charge for anything that we don’t purchase. 

I dont like when they are out of things but I understand it happens and I just order the items again or get them somewhere else. 

I have wanted to cancel a few times when they didn’t have much that I ordered. I was only able to cancel once. I don’t feel like they are playing games. 

Respected Contributor

Question for the OP.  If you need an item, and if you go to the store to purchase that item, if they don't have the particular brand that you want in stock, do you buy a substitute brand?  

It seems that you have a bigger problem with the shopper choosing the substitute for you.   

I've rarely gone to Wal Mart or any store since Covid, but I have watched the personal shoppers when I go,  and,  for the most part, they are very careful, and, at times I've seen them go to the back and come back with an item that had not yet been put on the shelves. 

You do realize that there are shortages in all stores these days and I'm sure that  no matter if you shop for yourself or not, you aren't going to get everything and every brand that you want all the time. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

I'd never use that service, myself. As long as I'm able to walk and drive I want to depend only on myself.

@SharkE   To each his own of course, but I prefer to walk around the block in the fresh air than amongst a bunch of unmasked shoppers who seem to want to look at the same exact same package of bacon that  I'm looking at. 

Of course, it is nice to get out and drive over to Wal Mart for my pick up. Smiley Very Happy