Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is Your Walmart Doing a Bait and Switch Game?

We should be thankful that this service is available.  About Store Brands and Named Brands, I have always heard that they are made at the same factories. Of course you pay more for named Brands.

Don't know if this has happened to anyone but just last week a Walmart Shopper faced time my sister to show her some vegetables. I thought it was so funny.

Esteemed Contributor

Of course Walmart would rather sell their own brand! I left Walmart after my 2nd trip there in March when my local store was packed with people looking at empty shelves. I prefer my local grocers, and I have no qualms about shopping there on a weekly basis while wearing a required mask. I'm 72 and will continue to do my own shopping, just like I've done for the past 9 months..

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Walmart isn doing a bait & switch, the OP simply doesn't understand what that means. On the order list substitutions can be turned off, if you do choose them you can say no to any substitution you don't like when you pick the order up & nothing is charged to your CC until the transaction is completed, then a receipt is emailed & if there are any charges that aren't correct all it takes is a phone call to get a credit. It's a great service & I'm grateful it's available.

@kitcat51    I agree.  I have been very pleasantly surprised with Wal Mart and will continue to use them.  I, like another poster mentioned, can order food to household items without going to the store.  It's been great and even though I am a prime member, I prefer to order from Wal Mart these days.   

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@mimomof4 Not the way it works.  They too often substitute house brands.  They also DO NOT tell you they are out of wipes until almost time to pick up the order.  And these happen consistently.  So it is a pattern.  

Re the specific example of wipes: when you order the wipes they are probably in stock, but the amount you order is not reserved especially for you. When the shopper goes around the store to fill your order they do the best they can. In the meantime in-person shoppers have already gotten all the wipes. I know my store limits all cleaners to one per person.

If you can't accept it shop elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I'd never use that service, myself. As long as I'm able to walk and drive I want to depend only on myself.

Me too. I love grocery shopping.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner.  The purpose of bait and switch is to sell you a more expensive item.  Walmart doesn't do that.  Read the definition above.

@Kachina624   

Bait and switch is a tactic to promote items you do not have or have enough of, and maybe selling at a great loss to pull people into a store and hope they buy something else while they are there.

It does not have to be targeted toawrd a more expensive similar item, but it can be just to pull customers to you

That's about all I've got, but bait and switch does not have be involve a similar item.  It can be just to get traffic to you.

It sounds as though you are conflating "bait and switch" and "loss leader."

Esteemed Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@mimomof4 Not the way it works.  They too often substitute house brands.  They also DO NOT tell you they are out of wipes until almost time to pick up the order.  And these happen consistently.  So it is a pattern.  

Re the specific example of wipes: when you order the wipes they are probably in stock, but the amount you order is not reserved especially for you. When the shopper goes around the store to fill your order they do the best they can. In the meantime in-person shoppers have already gotten all the wipes. I know my store limits all cleaners to one per person.

If you can't accept it shop elsewhere.

Or she could shop in person herself, and her problems would be solved.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Rarely shop there.  Our main store is just down the street.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

I don't call that bait and switch at all!

They are not trying to lure you into purchasing a more expensive item while advertising lesser.

You are using a service that is doing its best to provide what is on your list.  There are going to be subs of course.  They will not have everything exactly as you want it.

Be thankful there is even these kinds of services.

If you are not satisfied with their shopping for you and are unable to go yourself, maybe a family member could go for you.  That way you could be on the phone with them and guide them through exactly what you want.

I agree with @RespectLife .  I think they're doing the best they can.  If you're not able to shop, pay someone to do it for you that you can be on the phone with for each item needed.

@San Antonio Gal  I have done that with Instacart where they notify you, supposedly before picking up a substitute item.  However, that was not a pleasant experience and I am a good tipper but had to stop that as well.

However, Walmart misrepresents what they do.  They say they pick a higher-end item for you at the same price as the lower end item you chose. WRONG.  They choose a lower end item (their house brand) for you and often you are charged the same price, or that has happened to me. 

Once, I was charged for 96 diet cokes which I did not get.  I called the manager because their pick-up supervsior, in all her arrogance would not even let me show her where I had ordered but had not gotten but had been charged for 96 diet cokes, #4 of the 24-cans.  I don't think she was even literate enough to understand what I was saying. 

I went home and tried to correct it on line.  I called the manager of the store and he refused to take my call. 

I was talking with a friend, whose husband is a state senator.  Not about that but about some gardening business and just mentioned why I was late calling her. I got the 96 cokes delivered to me. I don't want that. I want what I ordered right then if I paid for it. 

How many other people had a similar experience but were not fortunate enough to have a friend whose husband was in a position to call on the store's district manager to get it straight.  Rare, probably never.  It might have only been $20 or thereabout but if that or similar thing happens to 2,000 people per day, how much that come to over a year's time.

My understanding is that any discrepancy is to be resolved when you take delivery.  Once you leave neither side can prove who is right.  

@CrazyDaisy   Like I said, I tried to resolve it there with the supervisor of the pick-up and she either was illiterate and did not understand but I perceived it as arrogance. She would not even look at my order sheet or the bill nor what the kid who delivered was trying to tell her or what I was tyring to say...That was what I got when trying to resolve it.  Say what you will, I was the one there doing the ordering, paying and trying to resolve it.

Honored Contributor

That's not bait and switch.  Stores everywhere are out of a lot of things. They might have something in stock when you order but sell out before your shop/delivery date or time.  If you don't want store brands, mark your items so they aren't replaced if they are out.  

It's the buyer's responsibility to know and decide what they will accept and not accept.

BTW, I regularly have my groceries delivered from WalMart and have rarely had any issues like OP describes.  I have more out-of-stock items when ordering from other grocery stores.