Honored Contributor

Re: Is Your Walmart Doing a Bait and Switch Game?

This happens with the other home delivery service I use, too, so I am careful not to allow substitutes.

Also, as well as having the items I want in stock.  Both services may have the items in stock when I place the order, but are out when the order is packed. 

So, it isn't only Walmart.

However, for as long as I shopped at Walmart in the store, they have always been out of something, things I wanted, and those I didn't want.  Complained to headquarters.  Found out why from the District Manager when he called me.  

Business is so brisk and heavy, Walmart can't keep items in stock despite sending extra tractor trailers to the store everyday.  Sometimes, they can't get enough from their suppliers.  That applies to grocery items, as well.  

I like Walmart's service, though.  Delivery is from my local store and know it's clean.  Everything is fresh.  I'm receiving a delivery today.  

Honored Contributor

Have you seen the people filling your order?   I doubt they are clever enough to play games.   They all look like they are fresh out of high school with little work experience.

I'm retired now but when I worked, I loved it

Since the pandemic, not so much.

I am very fortunate to have a couple of locally owned grocery stores.

Except for Lysol spray, their inventory has been normal this year.

It's been months since I've done any business with Walmart

Esteemed Contributor

Since March I have only done pickup and it is just the way it is.  

The sites are not always correct, the substitutions are capricious and sometimes you get a mystery.

Best to stock up when you can and relax.  Better than going in person.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We have been doing grocery pickups and two things are a pattern with them.

First of all,  unless you say no substitutes, you get their store brands for a LOT of products.

Second, they always say they have wipes and things hard to find.  So even if you don't allow substitutions on these, after it's all said and done, at the last minute when you can't change or cancel, guess what?  They are out of these and you can't get any.

AND they are holding funds on your card for the whole amount.  I see a dirty pattern of bait and switch and a shell game of what they have and don't have going on here and it makes me mad! 

Go somewhere else to shop if you don't like their service.  Griping about it is not going to change their policies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@SilleeMee I've been using Walmart curbside pickup since March and have never had a specific substitution choice at checkout. I wonder if that's available only in certain stores. Do you have it for both curbside and delivery?

As far as quality, Walmart may not have the widest food selection, but I think its website/ordering/pickup system is the best. I find their prices average, given that there are no true sales and you can't use coupons. And where else could I get food and furnace filters in the same order?

Two months ago I asked Walmart if they could sell Lactaid cottage cheese, which they didn't carry, through their website. Ten days later it was there, at the lowest price I'd ever seen and available at four area stores. That's customer service.  

@PickyPicky3 

My WM started listing substitution options a couple of months ago. It's a new thing at my store. I found out about it when I picked up my groceries one day and the woman loading my car mentioned it to me. I like having choices rather than getting something I don't want and so far their optional choices have been good. I don't do the delivery service so I don't know about that.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I don't call that bait and switch at all!

They are not trying to lure you into purchasing a more expensive item while advertising lesser.

You are using a service that is doing its best to provide what is on your list.  There are going to be subs of course.  They will not have everything exactly as you want it.

Be thankful there is even these kinds of services.

If you are not satisfied with their shopping for you and are unable to go yourself, maybe a family member could go for you.  That way you could be on the phone with them and guide them through exactly what you want.

I agree with @RespectLife .  I think they're doing the best they can.  If you're not able to shop, pay someone to do it for you that you can be on the phone with for each item needed.

Esteemed Contributor

I shop Walmart in person and see their shoppers all the time.   I can attest to the fact that name brands are not always available.  In addition wipes/paper products ect are available however do not always last long on the shelves.  Just like other shoppers, those filling your order take the chance of finding things same as everyone.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

We have been doing grocery pickups and two things are a pattern with them.

First of all,  unless you say no substitutes, you get their store brands for a LOT of products.

Second, they always say they have wipes and things hard to find.  So even if you don't allow substitutions on these, after it's all said and done, at the last minute when you can't change or cancel, guess what?  They are out of these and you can't get any.

AND they are holding funds on your card for the whole amount.  I see a dirty pattern of bait and switch and a shell game of what they have and don't have going on here and it makes me mad! 

@Sooner 

Ive heard complaints about curbside pickups (I think it depends how these crews are trained and the operation is run).... A friend uses our HEB's curbside service called "FAVOR" their app is very primitive and they always make very ODD replacements on her food items that are no where near what the original even was....  She's had a lot of complaints!  .

I use Instacart, the shoppers shop at the SAME STORE as her curbside Favor Service, but 99% of the time I get what I order, and if they are out of my original item and my substitute the shopper will chat with me and send a picture of whats available on the shelf and I can pick what I want or say dont replace.  The shoppers Ive encountered have given EXCELLENT service---they even notify me if hard to find items (like wipes or spray)  are in stock even if they arent on my list "just in case".....Ive had great luck with them and their deliveries are very prompt.  If you sign up for membership it comes to $10 a month....but the plus for being a member is they dont charge a delivery fee (which varies based on time of day/night of delivery), there is a $2 service fee plus tax and an option for a tip-- I order weekly---Its worth it to me...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I don't use the service.  I have no idea what the rules or instructions are for ordering items.  Whatever the instructions are for "substitutions" is what is done. 

The only thing that bothers me is that there's a hold for the full amount even though an item is not available.  That would make me vote with my feet to an alternative.

Esteemed Contributor

I do the majority of my shopping online presently, and have not had that experience.

Other retailers such as Fred Myers, Safeway etc, will substitute with other brands; including their own unless otherwise indicated; to fulfill the order. I do not see it as a nefarious action to do so, but If you are not familiar with this practice, I can understand how you might see it that way.😊 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖