Honored Contributor

Re: Is Your Walmart Doing a Bait and Switch Game?

Walmart is a poor substitute for a supermarket.  Yes, prices are good.  But don't go into the store wanting something specific because there's a greater than 50% chance they won't have it - either the shelf is bare or they don't carry it.  The only time I go is when there's a really good offer, like the Ibotta-Walmart free Thanksgiving dinner.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@mimomof4 Not the way it works.  They too often substitute house brands.  They also DO NOT tell you they are out of wipes until almost time to pick up the order.  And these happen consistently.  So it is a pattern.  

@Sooner Personally I tend to purchase house brands and rarely purchase wipes so that doesn't impact me.  Regardless Walmart does not know until they actually do your shop what is on the shelf or not.  They aren't going to do the shop until close to your pick up time so your products are fresh.  I easily accept that I won't receive the text for substitutions until 45 minutes before my pick up time.  

You do realize that all stores are selling out of wipes almost as soon as they are on the shelf, right?  In all honesty the obsession with cleaning wipes is over the top and not necessary if you look at recent reports which have come out.

Sounds as if you shouldn't be using grocery pick up.

Honored Contributor

The way I see grocery pick-up service is that it's they way it's going to be for a while for me. It's not perfect but I don't have a choice at the present time. I hope to go back into stores some day in the future but now is not the time. I just have to accept what they give me now and not complain because I couldn't do it without their help...even if it's not exactly 100% acceptable...I'll settle for less for now until things get better. Everyone is working hard and it's stressful to say the least.

Esteemed Contributor

I have used the Walmart grocery curbside service since March and cannot be more pleased. If you don't want substitutions, you can indicate that on the app. I have had one to two substitutions and was told via email what was being substituted. In those cases, the Walmart brand I wanted was replaced by a more expensive brand but charged at the lower Walmart price. On my last order, the possible substitutions were listed for me to choose one of them. They do a great job of picking out my fruit and is as good as if I had picked it out.

It certainly beats going into the store and not being tempted by unncessary purchases.  Before submitting the order,  I always make sure it is within the dollar limit or close to it and if more than $10 more than the budget, I then review and edit the order to bring the dollar amount into the accepted range. I get no "checkout sticker shock" with this.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

I use a Walmart Neighborhood market rather than a Super Walmart for pick up and haven't experienced bait and switch. They are very upfront, give me the option of choosing substitutions, let me know before I get to the store if things are out of stock and what if any subsitutions have been made. The Naighborhood Market does not have a deli as yet so I also use pick up at a local small market for deli, meats, and bakery. So between the two, with the exception of wipes I can usually get most everything I want/need. 

Respected Contributor

No bait and switch at my Walmart.  I have done both the pickup and shopping in person.  The employees at my Walmart are working hard to get all the pickup orders filled and they do a great job.  Any time they substitute an item for me, it has been of better quality or quantity.

When I shop in person, there are certain shelves that are almost bare and certain items that are just not available in the quantities they need.  If you do not want any substitutes, just indicate that and there will not be any brands you do not want.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee I've been using Walmart curbside pickup since March and have never had a specific substitution choice at checkout. I wonder if that's available only in certain stores. Do you have it for both curbside and delivery?

As far as quality, Walmart may not have the widest food selection, but I think its website/ordering/pickup system is the best. I find their prices average, given that there are no true sales and you can't use coupons. And where else could I get food and furnace filters in the same order?

Two months ago I asked Walmart if they could sell Lactaid cottage cheese, which they didn't carry, through their website. Ten days later it was there, at the lowest price I'd ever seen and available at four area stores. That's customer service.  

Respected Contributor

If you don’t want substitutions you simply check a box. If you don’t mind substitutions but then see what the substitutions are and don’t want it, you simply decline the substitutes item. In fact, you can decline a substitution up to the point they put it in your car. I don’t see a problem.

Also, inventory is constantly changing. Some items may be out of stock, two days later it becomes available and you can place it in your cart. It’s a constant ebb and flow and for me sure beats the alternative of shopping in a constantly busy store.
Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately the two times I did the grocery pickup were fails so I don't do it anymore.  The grocery store shopper appeared to just randomly grab whatever happened to be on the aisle.  So not a substitution, just something totally different on the aisle kind of thing.  It was like opening a mystery box.  And I think Target uses that as a way to get rid of the damaged items...donuts that had clearly been run over and smashed.   I have never had either of those problems with Instacart so if I just can't go into a store that's who I use.

Esteemed Contributor

We're very happy with Wal-Mart pick up. The substitutions we've had were from Wal-Mart brand to name brand and they charged us the lesser price. I'm so appreciative of this service and the pleasant people who load our groceries.  We've also used Jewel pickup service and Wal-Mart is far better.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth