Honored Contributor

Re: Is Your Neighborhood Planning a Picnic?

[ Edited ]

Even if we weren't coming off of a pandemic no way would the people here ever organize a picnic!

The "snowbirds" all escaped as soon as they opened our state -- leaving a few in my particular subdivision.  The ones that are year round are much older & in good times, barely see them.

Management had a big picnic 2 weeks ago to celebrate the state opening.

It was take out -- $22/pp - golf cart only, picked up your order, then proceeded to large parking lot.   I started to participate but realized

there was golf before w/parade & most who participated were with "their" clique and others were people I didn't know.  

Of course, had over 100+ and outside "friends" were invited. I truly believe it was a "way to get revenue" for our dining room since revenues were down due to closed during pandemic.

Sometimes it's depressing knowing you live in this beautiful community and realize if your not in the "clique" (golf or bar group) it's like being on a "island" alone!🙄

My last friend here left on Saturday (sold home) and I'm really feeling the loss as although they were "snowbirds" we had fun times during the 6-7 months they were here.  This was the last of the people we met when we moved here...but, she wanted to be closer to family.

So no never would my particular neighborhood have a picnic or anything else!!!

Just read through the other replies -- it was a simple question from @PA Mom-mom  and there always needs to be some  who feel the "need" to take it somewhere else re: virus and all the "so called" experts here.  Of course, by now everyone knows the speal of masks, stats,social distancing...on and on!

@PA Mom-mom   I think that's a awesome gesture to welcome new and old neighbors...

(sorry for the bold print...I'm on the Ipad🙄🤷‍♀️)

Trusted Contributor

Our state is still in lock down and even when it does open, I plan to stay away from crowds for a while. A party sounds fun but I am just nervous about groups now. 

Esteemed Contributor

If you have done these type of picnic in the past it is a wonderful way to welcome the new families. After everything the last few months, getting back to normal is important.  Have fun.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

No neighborhood picnic.  However, around the 4th of July DH's one nephew and his wife, along with her brother and his wife, have a huge party.  The one family owns several acres on top of a hill, the 2 couples supply all the meat (they do bbq chicken and ribs), the band and fireworks.

Everyone brings a covered dish.  There is a huge pavillion with electricity for refrigerators.  There are picnic tables under cover, a handful bring campers and stay a few days.  There is room for baseball and other games. Some set up those pop up awning type things, bring tables for cards or board games etc.

It's an all day thing.  Last year they cooked 250 chickens and a ton of ribs. You can imagine the food with over 100 people bringing stuff.

I haven't heard about this year, usually we hear a specific date by now.  I would be hesitant to go this year. 

Honored Contributor

I live in the country so no. 

I grew up in a middle size city and lived there until my mid 30's and never lived in a neighborhood that did a neighborhood get together or event like I see on tv. 

Looks fun, but I just never lived anywhere people actually did it. We didn't even socialize (as adults) with neighbors. Just kind of conversations over the back fence now and then kind of thing. As kids we all played together and in each other's homes, but our parents never were friends or socialized together. Probably a regional thing.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

We don't do that stuff in Arizona either. Besides it's well over 100 degrees until late September. Our neighbors aren't that friendly. I doubt I could pick any of them out of a lineup and I've lived here over 33 years. 

@Meowingkitty 

Oh this made me laugh, and hard! "pick any of them out of a lineup" !!!!

I feel the same way. Most of my neighbors now are Amish. I don't know them as they do pretty much stay separate. And a few of them I'm sure belong in a lineup! LOL (for those that will be offended, there is a lot of drug running in Amish communities, and we have some suspicions of a couple of places near here, based on the cautions from former Amish we know, as well as the behavior we witness of the comings and goings.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

Absolutely not. People are not socializing casually. It's unsafe.

@noodleann Do you really think it will be unsafe in August? My grandchildren have been told they will be going back to school in September.

@PA Mom-mom , that's a very good question. Let me answer it with a question: 

Between now and then, what will have changed to make it safe? Your grandchildren are going back to school because--why? What exactly makes it safer for them to go to school in September than it was to go to school in March? 

I ask, because apart from the dithering CDC flip-flopping on the mask advice, I see no change that makes the world safer--and the masks work only if everyone wears them properly. (The new thing I'm seeing is to have your nose exposed, but you're "wearing a mask" because your mouth is covered.)

The virus peaks after 40 days and dies in warm weather.

@ThinkingOutLoud, try posting something more recent than February 11 and by someone credible.  Also, common sense tells you this isn't the case as the virus is still alive and well in the warm southern states and Mexico is having a terrible time right now.  

Valued Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

No place I have ever lived has ever had a neighborhood picnic, only thing was neighborhood garage sales Man Very Happy

@CherryHugs wrote:

No place I have ever lived has ever had a neighborhood picnic, only thing was neighborhood garage sales Man Very Happy

We had a couple of neighborhood cook outs several years ago.  It was fun and we had a good time.  My area is still mostly shut down.  It's not safe enough for a large group gathering.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 boy do I agree with you about those turning normal threads into vitriolic virus threads. No wonder people are leaving the boards. The question was about block parties. A simple answer is all that was required. I understand the virus plays a part in our decision making, but to quote this or that authority, and then bicker about the veracity of each statement could bring even the happiest poster down.

Valued Contributor

@Meowingkitty: You have hit the nail on the head about being friendly. To me AZ is the Twilight Zone. Feels like I have entered another dimension. Where everybody avoids you like if you have leprosy.Woman Indifferent