Respected Contributor

Re: Is This a Fair Sentence?

As a tax payer, do you want to have to fund her prison stay if the employer agreed to the repayment?  

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I think it is fair, especially for the employer.  If she went to jail, he probably would not get his money back.

As a Tax payer, I don't want to pay to keep her in prison for a period of time.  She is not a dangerous criminal.

This is a personal matter between employer and employee.  If the employer is okay with the plea, then I am too.

I see no reason why anyone else would want the woman to get a hard time jail sentence. I do think the employee was lucky her employer gave her a break.

I  can't for the life of me see any reason why this lady would have been treated any differently if her race or gender would have been different.  There is no reason to believe the employer agreed to this agreement because she was female or a non minority.

The employer and the employee could both be minorities for all we know.

It would have been a lot different if she was a person of color. We see that every day in the court system, on the news. IMO, not seeing it is a big issue in our country.

The result in this case seems to be on the employer who wanted the money back and was beyond forgiving and kind. 

I disagree, it would have been a very different case & outcome if she had used a weapon to steal the money.    Color doesn't matter.   In this case, no one was physically harmed, no one died and she's not a repeat offender.

Regular Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

OK, I know this wasn't the point of the conversation but did the article mention what she was buying?  $127k is one h3ll of an addiction. I know it happens but I can't even imagine being that much in debt over "things" that you will tire of eventually.

Trusted Contributor

Well, @Forbidden Fruit , you are thinking like a mentally healthy person, which this perp clearly is not. I hope she gets the help she needs and truly becomes able to make restitution for her crime.

Respected Contributor

@Forbidden Fruit  The article didn't say. In my imagination she bought gold and made a big profit from her no-interest loan escapade.

Valued Contributor

If she was a person of color she might have gotten off free & clear...no accusations made lest the employer be accused of racism.

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

MONEY...  The root of all evil ....

@Big Joanie 

LOL .....  Probably first spoken by another sleazy religious con man trying to convince people to give him all of theirs.  

Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

In the end, we all are paying for the criminals, no matter what the crime is/was. Because of that, I say, the tougher the sentence the better.

@Jacie 

Well, that's a good theory .... I don't disagree with you. 

Having said that .... a person spending a year in jail costs us taxpayers approximately $50,000 per year to keep them there.   

Is that really the best solution for all concerned?

Personally, rather than putting a non-violent criminal in jail, I'd prefer they pay back every penny they stole .... and they can't do that from jail ....  and as a felon coming out of jail, they will find employment harder to find.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

She received a sweetheart deal.  She could have paid the 60k in restitution, plus pay the balance from her retirement fund from prison.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

In the end, we all are paying for the criminals, no matter what the crime is/was. Because of that, I say, the tougher the sentence the better.

@Jacie 

Well, that's a good theory .... I don't disagree with you. 

Having said that .... a person spending a year in jail costs us taxpayers approximately $50,000 per year to keep them there.   

Is that really the best solution for all concerned?

Personally, rather than putting a non-violent criminal in jail, I'd prefer they pay back every penny they stole .... and they can't do that from jail ....  and as a felon coming out of jail, they will find employment harder to find.  

@Tinkrbl44 wish I could say they'd pay something back but I am guessing they'd rob someone or someting for the money! LOL! There is no best solution because our legal structure has too many loop holes and deals made to release criminals. Some cities release them immediately  without bail. And, in some of those cases (like in New York City) the crime was very violent. I still say, we all pay whether it is through the loss of life, injury or taxpayer $$$$. 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield