Honored Contributor

Re: Is This a Fair Sentence?

@chrystaltree wrote:

Her employer agreed to the deal because he wanted his money back.  My guess is the judge and the prosecutor went extraordinarily easy on her because she's a middle class white woman who was able to make restitution.  Although the $60K is probably part of the money she stole.  She wasn't held to the same standard that a man or person of color would have been held to.  2 years probation is what a shoplifter who stole a sweater would get.  I do think letting her off with no punishment to speak of is disgusting but I also understand that the employer wanted the money back.

@chrystaltree I think that is a biased and unfair judgment.   It's an assumption just because.  You haven't walked a mile in everyone's shoes.  

Respected Contributor

Usually the judge wants the two attorneys to work together and come to an agreement.  The woman offered a deal, the victim accepted, case closed.  There may be extenuating circumstances that we don't know in this case.  Maybe she is a single mother with minor children at home and nobody else to care for them.  What good would it be to lock her up and make the kids suffer by going to foster homes.  And we citizens have to pay board and room for everyone in the situation.  The jails are overcrowded with fewer employees to watch over them.  This is a middle class crime committed with the stroke of a pen.  Jail time is usually saved for more serious crimes probably caused by gangs.  We don't have the resources to put everyone in jail.

This type of crime is more common than you'd probably think.  I know of someone who has done this a couple of times.  No jail time involved, but some ankle jewelry and house arrest.  If you want some punishment, know that it is difficult for them to find gainful employment again until they get the charges expunged.

Remember the old saying........ Life isn't fair.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Her employer agreed to the deal because he wanted his money back.  My guess is the judge and the prosecutor went extraordinarily easy on her because she's a middle class white woman who was able to make restitution.  Although the $60K is probably part of the money she stole.  She wasn't held to the same standard that a man or person of color would have been held to.  2 years probation is what a shoplifter who stole a sweater would get.  I do think letting her off with no punishment to speak of is disgusting but I also understand that the employer wanted the money back.

@chrystaltree I think that is a biased and unfair judgment.   It's an assumption just because.  You haven't walked a mile in everyone's shoes.  

Please stop with the race card!!

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

Strange ... well, one thing's for sure .....  since she was able to conjure up $60k, she had the $$$ to hire a VERY good lawyer! 

Respected Contributor

MONEY...  The root of all evil ....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As long as both parties are in agreement & court approved it does not matter if anyone thinks its fair or not, its no one elses business.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

They worked it out for themselves, now everyone needs to follow through. It's up to them.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie  In Pennsylvania both judges and district attorneys are elected. Judicial decisions are very much people's business. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand how posters can say " it's none of our business. "

Absurdly false.

Embezzlement is a crime against the state and therefore the people.  If a prosecutor,  judge, law enforcement and court were involved (the details in the post are sparse), taxpayer funds were involved.

Bookkeepers in Pennsylvania have been sentenced to lengthy prison sentences for their crimes.  I suspect that the relatively small amount involved drove the deal.  It's not a private civil settlement.  A crime was committed and the details are public.

Does anyone have specifics on the case involved, jurisdiction, court, defendant identity?

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager  Find the article in the Times News (TNOnline dot com).

Warning: The Times News just put up their first paywall yesterday. I don't know how many articles you can read until you have to pay. I'm out for the interim.