Trusted Contributor

Re: Is This A New Phone Scam???

@SunValley wrote:

SS will call you but only if you call them to set up a time. I have done this twice and the call was always at the time specified. Any unsolicited call is a scam.

Yes. I should add that when you apply online, they ask you how you would like to be contacted and to give them a time window. 

Esteemed Contributor

scam

Respected Contributor

And I should add that I have had at least 5 of these scam calls in the last 2 weeks. Guess they blanket an area with calls until someone bites.

Respected Contributor

tsavorite, It's an old scam--Social Security is still pretty secure but the crooks keep trying to hack it.

Super Contributor

It is a scam.  I have had several of them, all from different numbers.  I block numbers, but they call back in a day or 2 from a different number.

Esteemed Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

SS will call you but only if you call them to set up a time. I have done this twice and the call was always at the time specified. Any unsolicited call is a scam.

Yes. I should add that when you apply online, they ask you how you would like to be contacted and to give them a time window. 

Social security called me after I had a change in bank account and routing numbers right before my direct deposit was due. But I requested the call.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course it is a scam.  Think about it for a second. “Your social security number has been suspended”.  What does that even mean????  Makes no sense. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Yes we received this call a few days ago.  I have a Call Blocker from QVC and I just punch it.  I don't fall for any phone call.  Even the one that told me they were coming to arrest me for not attending jury duty.  You know I've never been called to jury duty, ever in my life.  That's weird.

Trusted Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

Yes we received this call a few days ago.  I have a Call Blocker from QVC and I just punch it.  I don't fall for any phone call.  Even the one that told me they were coming to arrest me for not attending jury duty.  You know I've never been called to jury duty, ever in my life.  That's weird.

I'm called enough for both of us. 😝😆

Honored Contributor

I got that one a while ago and ignored it. I figured if it was true I wouldn't get paid and would deal with it then.