Honored Contributor

It's on the high end. Paying cash it should have went down.

Honored Contributor

I am in southern WV, and have had the same great dentist for 31 years.   I have Delta Dental coverage.

I am looking at my last 2 dental statements; October 2017 my charges were $42 for oral evaluation, $59 for 4 bitewing images, and $74 for adult prophylaxis.   I was billed, and paid $32 after my insurance payment.

In April, I was charged $42 for oral evaluation and $74 for adult prophylaxis.   I paid $22 after my insurance payment.

Trusted Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma Wow, I never see anyon mention Calverton and Riverhead.  My in laws had a beach house there (an old scout campsite, I think).  My kids basically grew up there over many summers.  Thanks for the memories!

to the OP the price seems about right.  You may want to check local coupon magazines or flyers.  I often see some dentists running specials several times a year, likely to attract new patients.

Honored Contributor

I don't think the price sounds high, unless the visit before was significantly lower.  I have dental insurance from work.  I pay $10 a month thru payroll deduction.  The bill goes to insurance and they pay it.  I get two cleanings and a xrays yearly.  I go in a couple weeks.  I'll have to ask how much it is.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is This A Lot Of Money

[ Edited ]

@docsgirl wrote:

I was born in Brooklyn and raised in Queens.  When I got married, we lived on the Great South Bay in Suffolk County,  I currently reside in Ohio and pay cash for dental exams.  For my cleaning, x-rays, and exam by the dentist I pay $200.  Comparing that to what you pay, I don't think what you pay is outrageous.  Homes are very inexpensive here and so are taxes and utilities.  My electric bill runs about $25 a month.  In summer when I run the a/c it can go all the way up to $36.Smiley Surprised  When I told my friend on Long Island, he asked if that amount was for one day.  I laughed.  While it's very, very affordable here, I'll always be a New Yorker and am very homesick. I'm landlocked.  Sorry for rambling.  I'm just so homesick.  Thanks.     docsgirl

docsgirl, Where exactly is the Great South Bay in Suffolk County?  The reason why I ask is because I too was born in Brooklyn and raised in Richmond Hill, Queens.  We had a summer home in Wildwood, three miles from Wading river and spent a lot of time in Riverhead.  When I moved to Los Angeles, CA I was homesick for two years, missed the culture of NY but grew to love CA where I lived for 40 years so I know how you feel.  How long have you been away from NY?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I am in southern WV, and have had the same great dentist for 31 years.   I have Delta Dental coverage.

I am looking at my last 2 dental statements; October 2017 my charges were $42 for oral evaluation, $59 for 4 bitewing images, and $74 for adult prophylaxis.   I was billed, and paid $32 after my insurance payment.

In April, I was charged $42 for oral evaluation and $74 for adult prophylaxis.   I paid $22 after my insurance payment.

Would you be so kind as to tell me which Delta Dental plan you have.  I am looking at thousands of dollars worth of work and my out of pocket cost will be astronomical.  My insurance is okay but the gal at the dentist's office told me to check MetLife, Delta and Cigna, however, they all have several plans. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I don't live in a big city and my new dentist who I drive 45 minutes to see doesn't either. I pay cash too and an xray and consultation for a first visit is 180 dollars. There is no such thing at his practice as a discount unless you are spending 2 thousand dollars or more and then it's a 10% discount. I'm not complaining because I have the money to pay, but can you imagine the people who are suffering because they don't have access to affordable dental care. 

I have Medicare and a supplement, all of  my medical costs are paid 100%.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could have that kind of coverage with a dentist.  Too many people don't see a dentist as often as they should because of the cost.  Even with my dental insurance the out of pocket expense is outrageous.

Valued Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@docsgirl wrote:

I was born in Brooklyn and raised in Queens.  When I got married, we lived on the Great South Bay in Suffolk County,  I currently reside in Ohio and pay cash for dental exams.  For my cleaning, x-rays, and exam by the dentist I pay $200.  Comparing that to what you pay, I don't think what you pay is outrageous.  Homes are very inexpensive here and so are taxes and utilities.  My electric bill runs about $25 a month.  In summer when I run the a/c it can go all the way up to $36.Smiley Surprised  When I told my friend on Long Island, he asked if that amount was for one day.  I laughed.  While it's very, very affordable here, I'll always be a New Yorker and am very homesick. I'm landlocked.  Sorry for rambling.  I'm just so homesick.  Thanks.     docsgirl

docsgirl, Where exactly is the Great South Bay in Suffolk County?  The reason why I ask is because I too was born in Brooklyn and raised in Richmond Hill, Queens.  We had a summer home in Wildwood, three miles from Wading river and spent a lot of time in Riverhead.  When I moved to Los Angeles, CA I was homesick for two years, missed the culture of NY but grew to love CA where I lived for 40 years so I know how you feel.  How long have you been away from NY?

We lived in a teeny tiny town called Blue Point.  If you blink your eyes, you drive right past.  It's between Sayville and Patchogue.  I've been away since 1993 and am terribly homesick.  The midwest is very, very different from the New York area in many ways.  I've been to Wading River and Riverhead.  When I was growing up in the city, my friends had a summer house in Mattituck.  At that time, it was all potato farms.  We sure had a lot of fun out there.  I wonder if anyone recalls Lollypop Farm.  I think it was in Manorville.  My parents would drive out there on the weekend and I loved it.  Thanks for the memories.  Have a wonderful day.   docsgirl

Valued Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

@docsgirl wrote:

@docsgirlI was born in Brooklyn and raised in Nassau. DH wants to move to the Midwest when we retire due to the cost. I am afraid of being homesick.

MarielG:  Have you ever been to the Midwest?  If not, I strongly suggest visiting a few areas that may hold interest for you and DH.  Cost isn't everything.  I only moved here becasue my late husband became very ill and his sisters were here.  He was born and raised here but moved to New York as soon as he finished his Doctorate.  After he passed, I thought I would go home but for various reasons I wound up staying.  Yes, the cost of living is very inexpensive.  I have a gorgeous condo for which I paid $90,000. My property taxes are $1,200 a year.  I thought it was a month and the realtor laughed at me.  If it were in New York, my condo would probably be about $200,000-$250,000.  Our utilities are very inexpensive.  Our winters are long and brutal.  Where I live in Northeast Ohio there is NO culture.  You have to go to either Cleveland or Pittsburgh.  They have local theater and I went to a play that was considered 'fabulous.'  Growing up on Broadway, I was shocked at what they consider 'fabulous.' They just don't know any better.  Aside from the culture, I haven't had good pizza or a good bagel since leaving.  What they consider great food is nothing like we have.  While I'm getting used to being here, there's nothing like New York and I will forever be a New Yorker.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  Have a wonderful day.   docsgirl

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma,

I have what I think is called the Comprehensive dental plan with Delta Dental.   It was the highest level plan offered when I signed up 5 years ago after my COBRA coverage expired.   I pay close to $32 a month, and am very happy.   So far it has been a hassle-free plan.