Esteemed Contributor

Is There Some Weird Moon Affecting Animals !

It is 5:25 am,  I've been up since 4am and awake long before that.

My neighbor's dogs were barking for 90 minutes. Not sure if the wind blew, maybe they saw a groundhog or an ant.  Who knows.

The lovely  Miss Petunia has been practicing for the Kitty 500 by doing crazy cat runs all over the house. Bedroom, down the hall, into the kitchen, back into the living room, then upstairs and then down again.  It is amazing how much noise a 7 and 1/2 lb. cat can make running in the middle of the night.

Even my 14 yr. old crabby cat is running up and down the stairs.  She never runs.

A couple of the outside cats got into some kind of tussle on the porch.

What is going on?   I see a nap in my future, I hope the cats do the same. I tired.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is There Some Weird Moon Affecting Animals !

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2       It is MY "LEARNED OPINION" -- that there may have been a prowler or trespasser nearby.

Love, Kitty 

≈^••^≈

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi   If someone was walking on this road in the pitch black or wandering in yards the pooches next door would have gone after him.  They souned like they were in one spot barking their lungs out.  Maybe they got a possum up a tree.

Respected Contributor

Depending on the moon phase, we often have deer wandering through our property to the pond for a drink of water. This has been the case for the last couple of nights--DH saw the tracks by the water. Drives our dog nuts! He stands at the front windows & barks, runs up & down the hall & barks, then comes into the bedroom & barks til one of us lets him out! Of course, all the other dogs in the neighborhood are barking, too.

He never goes down to the water, just stands outside & barks for a few minutes more, then lays on the back porch. If a deer actually came toward him, my 135 lb. coward with the big, ferocious bark would run for the house!

Honored Contributor

My dog has been unusually active since yesterday morning. I'm dog-sitting for a neighbor and he has been the same way. 

Honored Contributor

If this is an unsual occurance I think there was something such as a deer or herd of deer, raccoons, humans that had the dogs stirred up and upset your kitty.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

ABSOLUTELY!!!  I have had three very strange animal stories happen this week.  Two involved feral cats.  One lives near me and the other is in a friend's neighborhood.  And then the deer were hypervigilant as well.  Too long to tell the details, but I suspect something was in the air.  All have settled back into some type of normalcy.  

Trusted Contributor

We live in a very rural location, and have neighbors but no one comes down our lane unless they know there is a home here and have business here. It's a long, dark road. Every evening we have critters roaming to the birdfeeders and feeding stations. Some nights no one shows up, I always assume that either the coyotes or bear are on the roam.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

Since several posters have mentioned this heightened activity, it seems to be a more universal cause. Animals are more active ahead of a strong weather front. Maybe that is it or the phase of the moon. Whatever the cause the change in their behavior can be unsettling.

Esteemed Contributor

@vermint  We had several dogs that were "Bark like crazy and then run".

We had an Australian Shepard that you thought was going to tear you apart until you saw him barking..........while running to hide under the porch.

Our Bassett/Springer Spaniel (quite a combo) barked like a maniac when we came home, anyone else, not a peep. Not a guard dog. Had robbers come in he would have helped them carry out the silver if they gave him a milk bone.