Honored Contributor

Re: Is There Any Such Thing As "Safe Pet Food"?

@NoelSeven wrote:

@JAXS mom wrote:

We are raw feeders, we feed prey model raw which is basically human grade raw meaty bones and organs from the grocery store. Our cats do also get grain free low carbohydrate canned food. Neither dogs nor cats need rice, other grains, fruits or vegetables. Nor do they need cooked food. Their digestive systems are designed to eat raw meat and bones not carbohydrates. Cats need taurine because unlike dogs they can't manufacture it themselves. Raw chicken thighs are pretty high in taurine.

catinfo.org is a good site on cat nutrition although I do not follow her homemade cat food recipe. I think that non ground up raw food is better for them. 

Thanks, I'll check out that site!  Re: raw chicken, I'd worry about that because there have been so many recalls around here, even for Foster Farms, which most people used tho hold in high regard, but not after a few exposes for them.

Cats and dogs have digestive systems that can handle a much higher bacterial load than humans. Remember both dogs and cats will naturally bury exceess food to come back and eat later. 

From rawfed.com

Dogs are surprisingly well-equipped to deal with bacteria. Their saliva has antibacterial properties; it contains lysozyme, an enzyme that lyses and destroys harmful bacteria. Their short digestive tract is designed to push through food and bacteria quickly without giving bacteria time to colonize. The extremely acidic environment in the gut is also a good bacteria colonization deterrent. People often point to the fact that dogs shed salmonella in their feces (even kibble-fed dogs do this) without showing any ill effects as proof that the dog is infected with salmonella. In reality, all this proves is that the dog has effectively passed the salmonella through its system with no problems. Yes, the dog can act as a salmonella carrier, but the solution is simple—do not eat dog ****** and wash your hands after picking up after your dog.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the details, jax mom Smiley Happy

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

@Lori Kaye wrote:

I have a hard time believing that the more expensive pet food is any better for our pets. I had a female cat that lived to be 19 and the only thing I could ever get her to eat was 9 Lives Tuna. Explain that? 

Nutrition is only one factor is a pets life.  I had a great uncle who drank frequently and smoked a pack a day, lived to be 93.  Long life is not always defined by just one thing.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Hi LR, it is always something, no guarantee Smiley Sad

What pet food do you use?

We use various and blend some dry together for an interesting mix.  Cat food.  Fancy Feast Classics in cans and we scrutinize the dry for the kitties.  So far, they enjoy their grub. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

With any manufacturing process you run the risk of problems.  I tend to stay away from brands with large manufacturing facilities,  There are several smaller companies which have more control over the process and quality of ingredients.  There are also a couple good web sites that rate the different brands and help consumers understand what is in the various foods.  I always make sure that the food I use meets AAFCO standards to ensure my dogs are recieving the proper nutrients.  Doing your homework is the only way to best protect your pet.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I don't even trust the store bought treats.  There was a recent story (within the last month) about pet treats.  

I don't trust them either, MGM. I subscribe to dog food advisor recall emails, and it seems I get at least one a week. Scary.

Honored Contributor

I wish there was more out there for cats, especially info on recalls.

Honored Contributor

Wasn't there something awhile back about the use of additives from China that caused a problem?  Nothing had been listed as to country of origin.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

I wish there was more out there for cats, especially info on recalls.

Hi Noel Smiley Happy here's a link with cat food recalls, and you can follow the AVMA on Twitter for recalls:

https://www.avma.org/news/issues/recalls-alerts/pages/pet-food-safety-recalls-alerts.aspx#!?fvalue=c...

Honored Contributor

THANK YOU, MJ!