Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is There Any Such Thing As "Safe Pet Food"?

I don't even trust the store bought treats.  There was a recent story (within the last month) about pet treats.  

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I made my dogs food after the first pet food recalls.It is very simple and cheap to do.I just got a large pot and dumped in some rice,meat ,carrots sweet potato and a little broccoli.Boil it up till rice is cooked I chopped everything ahead of time but you could stick it in a blender if you want a smooth texture.I made the food once a week for about twelve years.My dog passed away at 18almost 19 years.I used to put a little turmeric in her food for the health benefits because she had cancer for the last six years of her life.The vet was always amazed at how well she did and how long she lived.

That's wonderful!  She did live a long time for a dog, from what I know.  I'm sure what you did to take special care of her was the reasonSmiley Happy

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

I'm very careful and stick with human grade pet food and treats. I feed my pups Honest Kitchen mixed with beef. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

You can ask a vet for instructions on making cat food but you could also find recipes online.I think you could add pet vitamins to the daily serving if you think the food doesn't contain enough.I think if the diet is healthy and the pet is healthy then not much else is needed in the food.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

You can ask a vet for instructions on making cat food but you could also find recipes online.I think you could add pet vitamins to the daily serving if you think the food doesn't contain enough.I think if the diet is healthy and the pet is healthy then not much else is needed in the food.

Thanks, Whatnow.  I will look online!

Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

I'm very careful and stick with human grade pet food and treats. I feed my pups Honest Kitchen mixed with beef. 

I've never seen Honest Kitchen.  Where do you find it, Gato?

Honored Contributor

Hi Noel, Smiley Happy

I use Freshpet and add my own poached chicken and fruits/veggies to it.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

Hi dmod!

Wow, your pets eat well Smiley Happy

Where do you find Fresh Pet?

Trusted Contributor

Even Honest Kitchen had a salmonella recall a couple of years ago. 

Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven They make it right here in San Diego. You can order it online or use "Find a Store" to see if there's a location near you. The owners of the company can be found in videos and photos eating their products. 

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____