Honored Contributor

Is There Any Such Thing As "Safe Pet Food"?

Huff Po has an article today which addresses that question, and it's not looking good.  Even the newer brand Blue Buffalo has had their problems.

Eight years ago, the massive pet food danger has been estimated to have killed 8000 pets.

"The pet industry is booming. Americans spent over $58 billion on their pets last year, according to the American Pet Products Association, including more than $22 billion on food alone. The market for pet food is up over 75 percent since 2000, with almost all of that growth in the high-end "premium" sector, according to data from Euromonitor International. And it appears to be a very resilient market. Even in the deepest doldrums of the Great Recession, overall pet food spending actually increased."

What to do, what to do?  I've seen Target selling fresh pet food, kept in a refrigerated end cap, but who knows is that's any safer?

Full story on link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pet-food-safety_55b67875e4b0a13f9d1976e7?kvcommref=mostpopular

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is There Any Such Thing As "Safe Pet Food"?

Hi Noel!  Oh no, now what.  We have done our research - as much as possible to buy the better and safe food for our 'furry family members'.  It's always something isn't it.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think so Noel, we make our own.  

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

All about profits, just like everything else.  DD makes her dog's food herself, though she does buy the packaged treats.  The dog is quite healthy & happy.

Honored Contributor

I made my dogs food after the first pet food recalls.It is very simple and cheap to do.I just got a large pot and dumped in some rice,meat ,carrots sweet potato and a little broccoli.Boil it up till rice is cooked I chopped everything ahead of time but you could stick it in a blender if you want a smooth texture.I made the food once a week for about twelve years.My dog passed away at 18almost 19 years.I used to put a little turmeric in her food for the health benefits because she had cancer for the last six years of her life.The vet was always amazed at how well she did and how long she lived.

Honored Contributor

It's really shameful that companies can't/won't check out each huge batch of pet food before it's packaged/canned.  With all of the billions of dollars of profit, some of that money should be used to make sure that it's safe, chemically.  And, wait, check out each ingredient first, before it's added to the mix.  Can't they hire a full-time house/company chemist?  Something similar to our bloodtests, only testing batches of food.  And, company supervisors should be working in overseas manufacturing facilities, making sure no harmful chemicals/ingredients are being packaged/canned. (Believe me, if any one of us decided to privately sell our own pet food to the general public, 'they' would be 'all over us', making sure we were operating within their 'guidelines', checking our testing facilities, etc.)  Sorry, but what's going on regarding pet food just doesn't make any decent, common sense.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Hi LR, it is always something, no guarantee Smiley Sad

What pet food do you use?

Trusted Contributor

I have a hard time believing that the more expensive pet food is any better for our pets. I had a female cat that lived to be 19 and the only thing I could ever get her to eat was 9 Lives Tuna. Explain that? 

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I don't think so Noel, we make our own.  

MGM, how often do you have to make it, and is it for dogs?

I was wondering if I could make it as healthy for cats.  The pet food makers add vitamins, etc.

Trusted Contributor

I give my dog mostly raw home made food. The only dry I will purchase is Fromme. It is all USA...nothing in it is bought from outside sources. Many companies do not tell the consumer that they out source ingredients from China.  Of course, NEVER buy Purina or those awful brands EVER!