Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is There Any Such Thing As "Safe Pet Food"?

@SydneyH wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I buy Blue Wilderness dry food for my cats. I hadn't heard anything bad about Blue, so this makes me nervous. For the money I am paying for that stuff, it had BETTER be the absolute best. No guarantees anywhere, I guess. I would love to make my cats food, but they require the ingredient taurean which you cannot buy anywhere. The best I would be able to do is cook them food as a supplement to commercially prepared food with taurean.

I too have switched to this brand.  I buy it at my local hardware store for a very reasonable price and no longer have to buy Hill Prescription Diet.

Syd, my friend's mother lost her cat and the vet couldn't find out why. She had been feeding him Hills, and I think it about the time that the Chinese were sending that food with melamine to the US. She always thought that was what killed her cat, but she couldn't prove it.  I'll check the hardware stores near me to see if they have it. I buy the chicken weight control one for cats, and I pay $40 for their biggest bag.

Valued Contributor

We have two standard poodles.  We feed them twice a day.  In the morning they each get 3/4 cup of Blue Wilderness dry food. Sometimes I will add grated Parmesan cheese. In the evening, we feed them raw. We give them beef which we buy frozen, in bulk. In the summer, we add chicken. We buy a case of chicken leg quarters (when they are on sale at the local market) take off the skin and package 4 quarters into plastic bags and freeze.  We thaw out a package, and each dog gets two quarters. (It is ok for dogs to eat chicken bones as long as they are raw.) It is only done in the summer when we can feed them in the backyard, without bowls.  For treats, they love carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, bananas, oranges and whole (with the shell) raw eggs.  Every night, when we take out their toothpaste, they line up to have their teeth brushed.  It is poultry flavored!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Syd, my friend's mother lost her cat and the vet couldn't find out why. She had been feeding him Hills, and I think it about the time that the Chinese were sending that food with melamine to the US. She always thought that was what killed her cat, but she couldn't prove it.  I'll check the hardware stores near me to see if they have it. I buy the chicken weight control one for cats, and I pay $40 for their biggest bag.

That is soo sad.  Initially I was feeding him the cheap stuff but he developed crystals and could not urinate properly.  It almost killed him so the vet said his diet must consist of food with as little preservations as possible.  I was paying $40 for 6lbs but started mixing it with the Rachel Ray food with no ill effects.  My friend who has dogs recommend the Blue Wilderness line but you might only be able to find it a regional hardware chain.

Respected Contributor

I've been making my own dog food for a long time and they seem to like it.  It's like a meatloaf.   I use a pound of ground turkey, one beaten egg, some oatmeal, and a small jar of baby food like squash or carrots.  Shape it like a loaf and bake it.  You can mix in some other veggies, but no onions because those are really bad for animals.