Honored Contributor

Re: Is There An Age After Which Women Should Just Go With Their Gray Hair?

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@NYC Susan  I don't understand this whole "should" thing just because someone is older.  We all should just do what we want.

Then I will explain it yet one more time, even though it's been posted several times already on this thread, and the "do whatever makes you happy" idea has been posted numerous times.

This is one of my posts above -  that's the best explanation I can give. Perhaps you haven't read the entire thread: When hair looks very faike and doesn't "match" up a person's face and age any more then - yes - I think a person "should" either go gray or dye their hair a color that matches their face much better so their hair looks natural.  Yes, "should" and I think in the end they'll be happier.

@Pearlee wrote:

@Suziepeach  I agree with you. I have gone lighter as I've aged.  I know a few women whose hair, I think, looks horrible for them because they are older than I am (in their 70s) and although very attractive, their face definitely looks like they are in their 70s and they both have jet black hair that I think looks very fake  - very obviously dyed, not natural. It's just too dark and not only do I think it looks fake, I think it ages them because it doesn't "match up" with their faces.  Funny too because otherwise they are perfectly made up and dressed to the 9s very stylishly. When I see them, I always think their hair ruins their looks.  I'm not saying they should go gray, just not the jet black!

I did read the entire thread, and I am allowed to express my opinion even though it's been stated here by others.  You can certainly think what you want, but really - How can you possibly ascertain that a stranger "would be happier" if they did something that YOU think they should do?

"Horrible', "not natural", and "their hair ruins their looks" are opinions, not facts.  Two people may look at the same woman and have completely different opinions.  No one should ever feel that they have to change their hair color or anything else about themselves based on the opinion of other people or some antiquated belief that older women have to fit into some kind of stereotype.

So yes, I do think each of us should do whatever makes us happy.  If I think I look good and if that makes me feel good, then who is that hurting?  I don't scrutinize other people (men or women) and make judgements re how they look and how they can improve their appearance.  It's not my business!  Just as it's no one's business to decide that  - because I am a certain age - my hair should not be long or blonde or anything else.  

you're cute, smart:

NYC Susan
&
you rock!  ;-)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@NYC Susan  I don't understand this whole "should" thing just because someone is older.  We all should just do what we want.

Then I will explain it yet one more time, even though it's been posted several times already on this thread, and the "do whatever makes you happy" idea has been posted numerous times.

This is one of my posts above -  that's the best explanation I can give. Perhaps you haven't read the entire thread: When hair looks very faike and doesn't "match" up a person's face and age any more then - yes - I think a person "should" either go gray or dye their hair a color that matches their face much better so their hair looks natural.  Yes, "should" and I think in the end they'll be happier.

@Pearlee wrote:

@Suziepeach  I agree with you. I have gone lighter as I've aged.  I know a few women whose hair, I think, looks horrible for them because they are older than I am (in their 70s) and although very attractive, their face definitely looks like they are in their 70s and they both have jet black hair that I think looks very fake  - very obviously dyed, not natural. It's just too dark and not only do I think it looks fake, I think it ages them because it doesn't "match up" with their faces.  Funny too because otherwise they are perfectly made up and dressed to the 9s very stylishly. When I see them, I always think their hair ruins their looks.  I'm not saying they should go gray, just not the jet black!

I did read the entire thread, and I am allowed to express my opinion even though it's been stated here by others.  You can certainly think what you want, but really - How can you possibly ascertain that a stranger "would be happier" if they did something that YOU think they should do?

"Horrible', "not natural", and "their hair ruins their looks" are opinions, not facts.  Two people may look at the same woman and have completely different opinions.  No one should ever feel that they have to change their hair color or anything else about themselves based on the opinion of other people or some antiquated belief that older women have to fit into some kind of stereotype.

So yes, I do think each of us should do whatever makes us happy.  If I think I look good and if that makes me feel good, then who is that hurting?  I don't scrutinize other people (men or women) and make judgements re how they look and how they can improve their appearance.  It's not my business!  Just as it's no one's business to decide that  - because I am a certain age - my hair should not be long or blonde or anything else.  

You are entitled to your opinion. But your earlier post states that you "didn't understand".   So I explained it once again.  If you still "don't understand" so be it.

I simply meant that your way of thinking is beyond my understanding.  In other words, it makes no sense to me.  It's far better (and easier!) to live and let live.  Judging each other is never, ever the right thing to do.  There is no acceptable reason or rationale for doing that.  

No further explaining or clarification is necessary.  My reading comprehension skills are just fine.

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

you're cute, smart:

NYC Susan
&
you rock!  ;-)

Haha, thank you!!!!  :-)

Respected Contributor

NO.

-Texas Hill Country-
Occasional Contributor

No age. If you like how it looks with color, why stop?

If I knew my hair was going to grow in a beautiful silver or white, I would stop coloring it, but so far the gray I see is not a pretty shade. Plus I have thin hair and coloring seems to give it a little more texture.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Joey Heatherton wrote:

Are we gray?

Are we brown?

Are we chestnut?

Maybe, white?

Are we curly?

Are we straight?

Can't go wrong

We're ALL right! Smiley Wink

Been struggling for two and a half years to keep mommy in her own home but recently had no choice.  She's now in a facility, hating it and breaking my heart day in and day out.  My sibs and I visit daily, alternating, but I find myself here almost daily.  Called over tonight cause mommy is asking for daddy, who died 30 years ago. Can I tell you about heartbreak?

Ma was never been into makeup or primping.  BUT hair color and perms were MANDATORY in her world.  As a teen, I told her the tight perms were NOT flattering, and she was APPALLED at my lack of taste!  Lol.

Anyway, even today, in the midst of pain, confusion, fear and loneliness, ma takes advantage of the on-site salon.  A soothing shampoo, trim, and color make her SO happy. 

I'm thankful for those little moments of relief and joy, you know?  Take care, everybody!  xxox

Your story touched my heart.

My mother was set to go into a facility when we could not longer care for her, but, sadly, she died the night before we were to move her.  Like your mother, it was not what she wanted.

That aside, I am happy your mom still wants to go to the salon and look pretty.  No matter what else is going on, I think that is wonderful!

I'm sure that you are dealing with much more than I ever had to, but, when this time is past you, you will be thankful you were there for her.

By the way, Joey Heatherton was one beautiful lady.  I always loved her name!

Bless you for seeing to your mother's care.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes it just comes down to what is possible. Some get so allergic to the chemicals that coloring is no longer possible. For some the expense has to be factored in. My mother's hair got so resistant to color she would have to color every two weeks, and she just quit. It saved her a lot of stress and anxiety over constant roots and faded hair. Kudos to those who care about their appearance, whether you color or go natural, clean hair and an attractive cut are always in style.