Honored Contributor

Re: Is There An Age After Which Women Should Just Go With Their Gray Hair?

I know I'll be kicked for this but my "gray" is a shiny silver and I've received compliments for the color.  Not all of my hair is silver all over some natural color still remains but I've become content with it.  I've done the high/low highlights to blend a bit and it looked nice but I can't justify the expense anymore.

So yes, I may be bragging a bit but I'm content with my choice; those who do not want gray can do as they please.
"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I know I'll be kicked for this but my "gray" is a shiny silver and I've received compliments for the color.  Not all of my hair is silver all over some natural color still remains but I've become content with it.  I've done the high/low highlights to blend a bit and it looked nice but I can't justify the expense anymore.

So yes, I may be bragging a bit but I'm content with my choice; those who do not want gray can do as they please.

**********  You're not bragging, Cakers, just telling the truth.  I am glad you mentioned the expense.  I am getting to the point where I want that money to go elsewhere.  Some of these prices I just can't justify.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@culebra wrote:

Unless you have a beautiful color of gray which are few and far between, I would either go blond or dye your a hair.  Gray hair is generally quite aging.

It definitely is but most won't admit it. One poster said it makes her look 10 years younger! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

My morning radio station has interesting news tidbits and discussion topics from time to time.  One morning they were talking about this exact topic.  Whoever wrote the article or study they were referring to made this statement:  "On average, women tend to give up on themselves in their 60s."

I don't know if I would have worded it in that way, but IMO, hair color is similar to makeup and fashion.  Some women, by the time they reach a certain age, decide, "Enough is enough" and they stop coloring their hair and/or wearing makeup, and even dressing fashionably.  Like others have said, it's a very personal decision.  There is no rule that women have to make these decisions at a particular age and no one should dictate what others should do.

OMG - what a load of poop  LOL

Look - we all age - the key is to be age appropriate.  Skin changes - what looked good one time in terms of foundation, blush, etc. now looks wrong.

Hair coloring can enhance someone's looks or be a complete disaster.  Look at the blue heads of Cape Cod.  ROTFL!

You  don't need high heels and other "on trend" fashions to look nice, either.

Life styles change along with priorities.  Sounds like some man made that statement.

I though by now we would be beyond the point of passing criticism on women in terms of how they "have to look" to be considered pleasing to whoever we are supposed to be impressing.  *eyeroll*

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

**********  You're not bragging, Cakers, just telling the truth.  I am glad you mentioned the expense.  I am getting to the point where I want that money to go elsewhere.  Some of these prices I just can't justify.

Thank you - I find it interesting that "gray hair ages you".  LOL  Well, unless one has premature gray/white then - duh.  Most of us start graying in general in certain decades.

To color or not to color - a useless pov.  You can dye your hair until you are 100 years old but the fact remains you will still be 100 years old. 

Why are some so obsessed with age and hair color? If it makes you feel good, fine.

If you are doing to to pass for "younger" then you have more issues than the color of your hair.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Deanie wrote:

@culebra wrote:

Unless you have a beautiful color of gray which are few and far between, I would either go blond or dye your a hair.  Gray hair is generally quite aging.

And, I whole heartedly agree with your position.  It is much easier and believeable to go lighter, and, the grey is easier to cover and does not show. Also, I deeply resent another woman telling me that I should go grey or when I should go grey.  Do you ever hear men saying stuff like that to each other?

I really could not care any less what anyone does to their hair or what color they color it etc etc. It's their hair! What really gets to me are the constant digs at those of us who chose to let our hair go natural grey that we look so old - when , in fact, no one here has a clue at all what we look like. It's the "you have no right to put me down for coloring my hair -- but I  reserve the right to put you down as much as I please telling you that you've let yourself go or you look ancient because you have grey hair." attitude that makes me so mad.

I think you take this as an insult when it really isn't meant to be. It is just a fact that gray hair ages people. I don't need to see what anyone here looks like, I have colored thousands of heads and I have never seen anyone who looks younger with gray hair. NEVER.  First of all the gray pulls all color from the face and it makes lines and wrinkles more noticeable. Secondly, gray is just associated with going older. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING OLDER AND NOTHING AT ALL WRONG WITH PREFERRING GRAY over coloring but poll after poll shows that the majority (over 85%) of the population think that people with gray hair look older than they do when they color. They have taken pictures of the same person both with and without color and the overwhelming majority always guess the gray haired people regardless of age and whether or not they are younger, as the older person.

Are there people who color and look ridiculous and get it all wrong? Sure! I was just watching Evine this weekend and looking at that guy Demitri who owns the SKINN skin care line. He does his hair so dark, it looks ridiculous. 

You think because we are saying that gray hair makes you look older that it also means we don't like it or take it as an insult. That isn't the case at all!!!! It is just the truth. Working as a colorist I find that  few people have a desirable gray hair color, most just don't turn a beautiful gray unfortunately. However my daughters grandmother is all gray (silver) and she has the most beautiful hair color I have ever seen. It also looks great on her because she has the perfect skin tone for it. I love her hair and I would be upset if she decided to color her hair but it is the absolute truth that it does age her compared to the color she used to color it. It is just a fact. It doesn't mean I don't love her color, think she should keep it that way, prefer it over any color she could color it or that I wouldn't be upset if she covered her beautiful silver with ANY color!! 

There are times when a woman has a good skin tone, has a nice color of gray or silver that I absolutely think she should not color regardless of the fact it ages her a few years. 

However even if I don't care for the color gray I would never want a woman to color her hair if she doesn't want to. It is a commitment and not everyone wants to do that.

I do think women really need to change up their makeup though when they decide to go gray even if a woman has a great skin tone which is really complimentary to the gray hair. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

I am amused!  Smiley Happy  I will also consider saving a few bucks on deodorant, hair color,  shampoo and clean panties!! LOL!

Seriously, 60+ doesn't equal dead/dirty/depressed/desolate.  I'm thinking that those of us who always loved makeup and beautifying, etc, aren't going to give that up because of our age.  Others, who barely washed their faces when younger, will not change either.

Whatever works, whatever makes you happy, do it!  No apologies or excuses.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Most women spend a lot of money on face creams with the hope of retaining their youth and when that fails opt for fillers or botox.  I would venture to say they have no intention of going gray.  Conversely, those who do nothing probably are in the camp of "I'm going gray and to heck with you if you don't like it."  Like we care what you do.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Thank you - I find it interesting that "gray hair ages you".  LOL  Well, unless one has premature gray/white then - duh.  Most of us start graying in general in certain decades.

To color or not to color - a useless pov.  You can dye your hair until you are 100 years old but the fact remains you will still be 100 years old. 

Why are some so obsessed with age and hair color? If it makes you feel good, fine.

If you are doing to to pass for "younger" then you have more issues than the color of your hair.

@Cakers3   I certainly hope you aren't implying I'm "obsessed with hair color" just because I posted this discussion question.   I'm thinking about at what point I would stop coloring my hair - that's all, just a topic to chew over, not obsess over. I think a lot of people don't know when coloring their hair starts making their face look incongruous to the hair color, as I posted a while back on this thead.   People often aren't objective about their looks.  

But geez, what some people read into things that just aren't there.  Obsess about hair?  I've not seen that on this thread. If you want to start a thead about obsessing over age and hair, be my guest.

Trusted Contributor

No way!!  My mom dyed her hair until she got really sick at 86 and was in a nursing home.  Even then, they had a beauty shop where my dad took her to have her hair done.  She got lucky and developed a platinum blonde look but when she was healthy, she had Tiger stripes in her hair.  I get mine dyed every 3 months.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney