Trusted Contributor

Re: Is There An Age After Which Women Should Just Go With Their Gray Hair?

[ Edited ]

I have seen some beautiful women in white or salt and pepper hair color.

The style and cut helps. Also make up. But I have seen women in church and out and about that are beautiful in my opinion.

The model on the cover of this month's  Chico's catalog has grey hair. She also has a a stunning outfit and makeup, and she is beautiful.

Super Contributor

At 55 years old, I color my hair and I intend to do so for as long as I possibly can.  That said, I am in the "never say never" club.  None of us knows what the future holds, and it may be that health issues, or something else, can overcome us to the point where hair color just isn't that important. 

I am also of the opinion that gray hair is aging.  I think we all know of ladies who look great with gray or silver hair.  I know one woman who has the healthiest, prettiest silver hair that I have ever seen.  She is a very pretty woman and her hair is styled in a bob cut.  Just stunning.  However, I will say that she looks older than she did with colored hair.  Does it matter?  Obviously not.  She loves it, her hair looks great and that's all that matters.  My mom stopped coloring her hair when she was a bit younger than I am now, and she had, and still has, very pretty gray hair.  But not everyone is so lucky.  Many times, gray hair has yellow overtones or is just sort of dull.  But if that is okay with the woman underneath the hair, that's all that matters.  Each of us should do what makes us feel good.  It's really that simple, in my opinion.

One last thing.  I know that there are posters who bristle when some of us suggest that gray hair is aging.  Fair enough.  But why is it then okay for these posters to suggest that those of us who do color are "fooling ourselves" or superficial?  I just think all of us should be able to respectfully offer our opinions without getting all offended.  At the end of the day, it's just hair dye.  It's not life or death, and it has absolutely nothing to do with our value as human beings.

Respected Contributor

Not unless they want to.

Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, we live in a world that judges us by our looks and age (especially woman).   I don't color my hair but I use Joan Rivers' products and other powders to cover my gray hair.   

Gray hair ages me and when I see it in the mirror, I am flabbergasted.

I have had a lot of stress in my life and it shows in my hair now.  I want some sense of who I used to be before it's all gone, so I will be a brunette until I can't any more!   

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, I didn't want to go darker than my light to medium brown.  Red highlights always go orange on me and I don't look good in blonde any longer unless it is a light ash blond which I didn't want to mess with touch ups.  I tried on gray wigs and they actually, in my eye, were more complimentary to my complexion and coloring. This is wh I am letting my hair go gray.

One day I saw about 10 or 15 ladies setting in a restaurant....all at the same table.  It looked like a class reunion or women's club.  They were all about the same age (my age) and they all had almost the exact same color of blonde hair!  I thought to myself right then and there....that is just not for me. It was just too "cookie cutter" for me.  That being said, to me whatever you do....color...gray...nothing.....it's all about feeling comfortable in your own skin and in your own heart.  Who am I to say what that is for someone else?  If all those ladies at that restaurant were happy with their blonde hair and liked the same color....while, I may not like it for myself.... if they are happy than I am happy for them!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I got my hair cut and colored the other day, I was long overdue and my gray roots really started growing out (my hsir is short so it wasn't toooo bad).  I went to a new hairdresser because my regular one retired recently and this woman is a master haircutter - the highest level at the salon and she really, really knows hair and what she is doing.  The first thing she said to me when we were discussing my color (that I wanted her to match) was  that my gray hair was very pretty and a very pretty shade of white.   (White?  Eeek - when did that happen?)   She didn't suggest I go natural or anything but was just commenting that my hair is pretty underneath that color!   Got me thinking even more.....  

Esteemed Contributor

What I do with my hair is nobody's business but mine.  If you don't like it, well you have the problem not me. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This post has been removed by QVC. Removed disagreement caused by misunderstanding, since it might cause the thread to become off topic. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

[Removed by Moderator - Quoted Content from Deleted Posts.]

@mstyrion 1  I so love your avatar.  I'm a huge cat fan.  I have two beautiful male cats named Maxx and Tony that are brothers.  Thank you so much for your post.  I wasn't meant to be snarky in any way.  I don't want to ruin this thread started by the poster.  That's not fair.  I wish you a great weekend and keep that cute avatar you have. I love it.  It puts a smile one's face when they see it.  It's that cute.