Honored Contributor

Re: Is There An Age After Which Women Should Just Go With Their Gray Hair?

My cousin didn't know me at my dads' funeral because I wasn't a long haired blond. LOL

I haven't been blonde for a long time.  I'm now a "dirty" blonde or a light brown ... but I'm proud of the grey that is showing up.  I've earned every one of them ... plus more.  She colors her hair and it's beautiful, but it's not the blonde she also had when we were younger. Smiley Happy  Our Aunt is only 5 yrs older than us and she's been grey since she was 30 or younger.  Love what you have and make it work for you. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Toppers  Your hair is definitely the best way to go gray!

To all: of course coloring one's hair is a personal decision.  I'm just interested in people's thoughts on this - I'm not asking them to tell me what to do!  Sheesh!

I loved Meryl Streep's gray hair (a wig she said) in The Devil Wears Prada.  If I knew my hair would look that great, I'd go gray in a heartbeat.  Of course, helping it look great was Meryl's beautiful face...... Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

I don't think so.  My own gray hair is not the beautiful silvery gray or lovely white.  The gray is scattered all over.  It is not a matter of fooling anyone, I just look better with color.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife,

I totally agree with you.   As long as I have hair on my head, it will be red.   

Honored Contributor

Re: I think you should do whatever you like. I've never dyed...

I let my hair go "au natural" once and said, NO more.. it aged me so much and I looked so washed out.  My stylist is a wiz with natural coloring- wink wink wink- we do mine a light color and highlight with a lighter blonde and platinum so when my natural white starts showing, it isn't as noticeable. If you do color don't go dark, go lighter, that's what I've always been told.  Works for me!!  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@SuzieGarnet wrote:

If you do color don't go dark, go lighter, that's what I've always been told.  Works for me!!  

@Suziepeach  I agree with you. I have gone lighter as I've aged.  I know a few women whose hair, I think, looks horrible for them because they are older than I am (in their 70s) and although very attractive, their face definitely looks like they are in their 70s and they both have jet black hair that I think looks very fake  - very obviously dyed, not natural. It's just too dark and not only do I think it looks fake, I think it ages them because it doesn't "match up" with their faces.  Funny too because otherwise they are perfectly made up and dressed to the 9s very stylishly. When I see them, I always think their hair ruins their looks.  I'm not saying they should go gray, just not the jet black!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler
V

I've recently gone from a dark to medium brown to a violet red that I love love love! I've been coloring my hair for 40 years and have no intention of changing now. I also keep it long despite what " they" say. I like it, DH likes it and that's all that counts.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

After I retired, I decided I didn't want that dye on my scalp any longer. Hair is a nice white and short, a little spikey. Do I look older? Yes. Do I care? No. I am very happy.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

After I retired, I decided I didn't want that dye on my scalp any longer. Hair is a nice white and short, a little spikey. Do I look older? Yes. Do I care? No. I am very happy.

I live near a vegan, gluten-free (go figure)  salon that dyes only with natural products.  The salon people claim all are good for the hair.  I've not been there - it is very, very expensive but I really like the cuts of the few people I know who do go there.

Honored Contributor

That's up to the individual, the lifestyle they lead (competitive professional business environment. etc.), their husband/family and all that good stuff.

I started graying in my 20s (heredity). By the time I was in my 40s my hair was 65+% gray and I was spending a fortune to color it. So when I turned 50, I stopped. I reverse frosted it one time so the growing out would be more subtle - but when I asked co-workers if I should do it again they said no, my graying looked great.

I've been lucky. At this point my hair is about 85% white and 15% silver, and I get compliments. I also get told I look 10 years younger even with white hair.

So it's what you think is best for you, and luck ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all