Honored Contributor

Is There An Age After Which Women Should Just Go With Their Gray Hair?

This question is prompted by two things.   One is my age; I'm a senior and still dye my hair its original color as I have for years, even though I am sure I am all gray by now, and second, by seeing videos of Nancy Reagan taken obviously in the last few years when she was at least in her late 80s and still had brown hair (dyed I'm certain despite her hubby being famous for never having gone gray).

But I don't mean this to be a discussion of the Reagan's - there is another thread for that. I'm just wondering whether you think there is an age at which it is more appropriate for a woman to just go with her gray - and then probably white hair, when it's the natural color by then.  Mrs. Bush the elder does and has for years (although i wouldn't have gone natural as early as she did).  I'm thinking about this mostly for myself and what my choices should be. I do know that dying my hair now at my age makes me look much younger than my true age and I think it still looks pretty darn natural, esp. to those who have no clue how old I am.  But I think at a certain point it will look very fake, or rather "impossible" to be natural.

Also, my neighbor who is three years older than I, recently decided to go with her natural gray hair.  I'm not sure how many people even noticed, since she is a blonde and there was really little difference.  In the case of my light brown hair, though, the difference would be noticeable..

Honored Contributor

Re: Is There An Age After Which Women Should Just Go With Their Gray Hair?

NO.  Some women should never and/or do not want graiy hair.

Valued Contributor

No. I'll keep getting my hair colored/highlighted.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

As long as I can make it to the salon, my hair will be brown. It's not a question of " fooling " anyone. I just look better, light hair washes me out, and I still like to look nice.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

NOPE!! Not doing that!! I couldn't even begin to remember what my natural hair color is at this point. I've been frosted, blonde, red and now, brown. I also think there are different "grays". Some is more silver, some more white and some just plain gray. It depends on the gray and the woman. I have a friend whose hair turned the color of Barbara Bush - like a silvery white - when she was in her twenties - she looked great in that color - and never through of dying it.

Honored Contributor

If you like your hair then I wouldn't change a thing.

This last time I had my lady do just highlights instead of covering my white roots.

I'm not sure I like it but will give it a couple more weeks.

But my hair is blonde so the white doesn't show as much as if it was on brown hair.

There is a woman that is in her 80's that go to the same beauty shop as I do and her hair is natural dark brown and she has never colored her hair.

How lucky can you get.

Honored Contributor

Whatever makes you happiest.

I dye my hair and will do so for as long as possible, but just as many women in my Class of '72 have gone with the gray and look great.

Trusted Contributor

I think that it's a personal choice, regarding what to do-whether to go gray, or to keep coloring it.

My Mom once told me that I had the natural "family hair color" from her side of the family because I did not dye my hair, and that my hair color is what everyone's would be, if they had let their hair color stay natural, instead of coloring it. Smiley Happy

I don't color my hair. I have allergies and scalp issues, so that is one of the reasons that I don't do it.

My hair color is naturally dark blond, but now that I am older, I would say that it is a more silver color than gray, where it is turning silver. The silver has been blending in rather nicely, I think. 

I think that it's about a 50/50 blend of each color, with the silver in the front, and with the blond in the back. 

Honored Contributor

Although I am letting my hair gray at it's natural pace, coloring one's hair at any age is a personal decision.  

Honored Contributor

I've always hated fooling around with hair.  It's such a waste of time.  I have thick, wavy hair cut short so it's just wash and go.  When I retired early in 1998, I took that as an excuse to quit coloring and never looked back.  I get many compliments on my hair, even from strangers.

I was with my dad once going to pick up my mom in a large medical facility.  As we walked toward her in the waiting room, dad stopped and said, "Your mother has the most beautiful hair."  Hers was pure silver but how many men would have commented favorably on their wife's gray hair?  I considered that the ultimate compliment.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment