Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is Social Security closed for some reason?

[ Edited ]

It is my understanding that Social Security offices are closed due to Coronavirus. This has been mentioned on the news outlets..You can call or go online but not go into the office.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It sounds like no one wants to answer the phone.  Can you get your answer online?  I suggest you call when they open 8:30 am

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

Hi

I actually do have an online account and have been checking the website for the past 2 months for my Request for Reconsideration to be resolved. They do not answer specific questions by email--only general ones. Sooooo, I need to talk to a human about my claim. Hopefully, things will go back to normal soon.

Honored Contributor

@Dragonflyveb wrote:

Hi

I actually do have an online account and have been checking the website for the past 2 months for my Request for Reconsideration to be resolved. They do not answer specific questions by email--only general ones. Sooooo, I need to talk to a human about my claim. Hopefully, things will go back to normal soon.

the website is really not that great......it could be so much better and offer much more customer service options. they also wont answer specific questions and if you ask they will send you an email telling you just that. my mom has had some issues with her social security for the past 7 months or so and it has really been a hassle not having the offices open for in person interviews. we had to play a lot of phone tag!

wishing you good luck on resolving your issues @Dragonflyveb ! 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

Thanks! I'm hoping they can get to the phones again soon.

I find that they are very courteous, once you get a human on the line!

Trusted Contributor

I just got my letter from SS letting me know my COLA increase will amount to $2.00 a month. Really. Good luck getting through on the phone. I had to finally schedule an appointment and go in person. 

Contributor

Nearly all of the branches of SS remain closed and this is actually mystifying and frankly unacceptable. Every other agency I can think of has managed to staff it’s offices amid Covid. To make matters worse the website is often often down rendering online devices non existent! For me it was a three month process to sign up for Medicare - even with having an account. I’m computer savvy but SS insisted on doing business by snail mail and by phone. Unreal! For people who are waiting for disability payments or have any issues that don’t neatly fit in a box- it has been a nightmare. I do know that congress has become concerned and there is a move on to make SS branches open- and not leave it up to a branch employee to determine whether or not your issue is serious enough to open the office . There are so many horror stories across the country. My advice is to just keep at it and hope you finally get a person who is willing to go the extra mile for you. They exist for sure. But the situation is untenable!
Esteemed Contributor

I had to speak to someone about lost SS statement and after 45 min. on hold, spoke to someone.  I live in CA