Honored Contributor

Re: Is QVC giving a portion of each sale to help the hurricane effort?

@SeaMaiden, sometimes it does  a heart good to look through a different prism.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

They should just donate  period,a lot of money ,and all the big companies also.

Yep, and shout it from the rooftops so they be be castigated for telling the world they gave rather than being castigated because the world doesn't know if they gave.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Its obvious from looking at their facilities that Best Friends Animal Rescue has a ton of money from somewhere.  I'd prefer to give to the Houston SPCA which has been featured for years on Animal Planet's program, Animal Cops Houston.  They have a team of cruelty investigators that actually does something about a animal abuse. 

During earlier hurricanes, they actually went into evacuated homes with the owners' permission and rescued pets that had been left behind.  They set up temporary shelters that housed hundreds of pets, and most of this was done with volunteers under the staff's direction. 

They'd get my money. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Local churches and Food Donation Centers in and around the areas will be in need for anyone who would prefer to donate to them.  Our area churches helped almost as much as Red Cross. 

agree,

after Sandy  local churchs and just people set up "kitchen and tents" to aid in the neighborhood without benefit of the Red Cross, it was people organizing together.  

I would agree with the above posts since the Red Cross has one of the highest overheads of any organization in the country; Salvation Army has the lowest overhead. Churches and individuals who donate have no overhead so everything goes directly to the needy.

Honored Contributor

They are doing "Stuff the Truck" drives here where semi trailers are being filled with needed supplies and then driven to TX.  That is what I would donate to.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

"Best Friends’ disaster response team is deploying to Texas to rescue stranded animals, deliver supplies to hard-hit shelters, transport displaced shelter pets and support emergency sheltering efforts.

"Best Friends volunteers, especially those with animal-handling experience, will be notified in the coming days of specific needs and how to support our work or that of our partners as soon as the situation on the ground warrants.

"Best Friends staffers John Garcia and Meg Burke are a certified Type 1 rescue team, which means that they are qualified to accompany human search and rescue teams in order to handle the associated animal situations that arise. They are qualified in swift-water, flat-water, high-angle and trench rescue and they will also engage in direct ASAR (animal search and rescue) work. John and Meg are deploying with Code-3 Associates out of Longmont, Colorado, a professional animal disaster rescue and response organization with 32 years of experience in disaster response and specialized training. Together they will constitute the most highly qualified and best-equipped animal rescue strike force in Hurricane Harvey’s impact area.

"In addition to John and Meg, a team of Best Friends staff led by Marc Peralta and Tawny Hammond will arrive in Texas starting tomorrow to begin delivering emergency supplies, and transporting animals.

"We know from prior experience, especially from our work in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, that it will take days and perhaps weeks to be able to fully assess the extent of the physical damage and the scope of the impact on the animals caught in this devastating situation.

"Best Friends has opened our disaster response reserve fund to help in these efforts. If you want to support Best Friends’ emergency response to Hurricane Harvey, we encourage you to contribute to it now. All donations contributed to our disaster reserve fund will be used exclusively for this or future emergency responses.

"Please keep our team and all those affected by this tragedy in your thoughts and keep up with our latest reports on Best Friends’ Facebook page."

bestfriends dot org

@Moonchilde

I know John Garcia Heart and he is truly fine people.  If an animal can be helped John will give it his all!  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

There is a banner linking to the Red Cross at the top of the page.

Nobody knows what QVC may be donating in the background and honestly I think people need to focus on their own wallets instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing.

I would agree with that!

Imagine if everyone, every single person donated just a few dollars, how much money could be raised.  Or however much they could afford.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden No Pat did not say a portion of each sale would go toward a relief fund to help the hurricane effort.  Each host has been saying what Pat said at the start of each presentation since yesterday morning.  QVC's homepage had a banner up all yesterday with the link to the Red Cross.

Each person can donate appropriately to the relief fund they choose.  QVC wants to keep Texas in the hearts and minds of its viewers, and making it a little easier to find a place to donate.  That's their effort, and that's good.

yes.....  like easy pays....

@SeaMaiden I'm afraid I don't understand your comment at all -- "yes.....  like easy pays...."

??

@Caaareful Shopper QVC never really gives much.... they offer easy pays and act  like they are special when they are really giving the consumer nothing at all.

@SeaMaiden

Seriously, what the heck does offering easy pays to customers have to do with giving money to the relief effort?

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden No Pat did not say a portion of each sale would go toward a relief fund to help the hurricane effort.  Each host has been saying what Pat said at the start of each presentation since yesterday morning.  QVC's homepage had a banner up all yesterday with the link to the Red Cross.

Each person can donate appropriately to the relief fund they choose.  QVC wants to keep Texas in the hearts and minds of its viewers, and making it a little easier to find a place to donate.  That's their effort, and that's good.

yes.....  like easy pays....

@SeaMaiden I'm afraid I don't understand your comment at all -- "yes.....  like easy pays...."

??

@Caaareful Shopper QVC never really gives much.... they offer easy pays and act  like they are special when they are really giving the consumer nothing at all.

@SeaMaiden,

The fact is none of us know exactly what kind of charitable work or donations QVC does behind the scenes. To speculate is a rather low thing to do in the midst of tragedy.

@Ms tyrion2

ITA.  It's like whining that the flood victims get money but she doesn't.

Low is right.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Its obvious from looking at their facilities that Best Friends Animal Rescue has a ton of money from somewhere.  I'd prefer to give to the Houston SPCA which has been featured for years on Animal Planet's program, Animal Cops Houston.  They have a team of cruelty investigators that actually does something about a animal abuse. 

During earlier hurricanes, they actually went into evacuated homes with the owners' permission and rescued pets that had been left behind.  They set up temporary shelters that housed hundreds of pets, and most of this was done with volunteers under the staff's direction. 

They'd get my money. 

@Kachina624

I wanted to thank you for bringing up the Houston SPCA.  That helped me decide where to donate.