Honored Contributor

Re: Is July 6 s designated national day off?

@stevieb   I use the Federal calendar as a measure.  Federal employees worked Friday and Monday.  Some private employers may have elected to give a day off but there was nothing official.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Pay & Leave Federal Holidays Overview

Federal law (5 U.S.C. 6103) establishes the public holidays listed in these pages for Federal employees. Please note that most Federal employees work on a Monday through Friday schedule. For these employees, when a holiday falls on a nonworkday -- Saturday or Sunday -- the holiday usually is observed on Monday (if the holiday falls on Sunday) or Friday (if the holiday falls on Saturday).

To see holidays for a specific year, please select the tab labeled with your year of interest.

2020 Holiday ScheduleDate Holiday
Wednesday, January 1New Year’s Day
Monday, January 20Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 17*Washington’s Birthday
Monday, May 25Memorial Day
Friday, July 3**Independence Day
Monday, September 7Labor Day
Monday, October 12Columbus Day
Wednesday, November 11Veterans Day
Thursday, November 26Thanksgiving Day
Friday, December 25Christmas Day

@Kachina624  According to the schedule @beckyb1012  posted above, Friday was the holiday for the feds. I see there is a double asterisk ** so maybe there were exceptions.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb   That's what I wondered.  She should have included the asterik information.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Here you go...

**July 4, 2020 (the legal public holiday for Independence Day), falls on a Saturday. For most Federal employees, Friday, July 3, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103(b).)

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Friday was the designated holiday around here.

Even the immediate care clinics in our area were closed.

My husband had gone to the ER on Thursday and needed to be seen as an after the next day. We called all over to go to an immediate care on Friday. His doctor was closed and told him to go to an immediate care. Ended up just going to the ER again and he saw the same doctor. All was deemed OK. 

Honored Contributor

Friday was the day off for 4th of July.  If the 4th had fallen on Sunday, then Monday 6th would have been the holiday.  I work from home for a university.  I didn't work on Friday.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

From the actual working world, I didn't get a day off or even holiday pay.  Smiley Sad

It honestly depends on your company.  

Under my many iterations of ownership, you either:

don't get a day,

take another day such as Friday before or some companies give a day of your choice,

or

no day off but 8 hours holiday pay so you essentially get a day's extra pay in your check that pay period.

I think that it depends on the company.

This year, my husband told me that instead of getting Friday off, he got the day as a "floating holiday" to take at another time.

Honored Contributor

The company I work for gives us Friday off if the actual holiday falls on Saturday or Monday if the actual holiday falls on Sunday, as did previous employers.  Obviously, we had Friday off.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

It was a Federal Holiday on Friday.  Governements and banks and my office too.  Got my hair done on a Friday morning.  Very rare indeed.

Banks were actually open.  Couldn't trade treasuries, but our bankers were working and we were able to get some wires out.

I had actually googled it on Thursday - if the Holiday falls on Saturday, banks are open on Friday.  If the holiday is on Sunday, banks are closed on Monday. At least that's what the internet told me. I think years and years ago I had seen something that said a bank can't be closed for two business days in a row or something (I don't know), but it kind of went along with what I observed on Friday.

As for my office - we got off early on Thursday and has Friday off (although I did need to make sure the wires went out!)