Honored Contributor

Re: Is It Safe To Buy From Etsy

@haddon9 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
There are tons of things for sale from other countries on the U.S. Etsy site; she didn't "land" on another one.

Since I have occasionally "landed" on a foreign version of a site, I thought it was worth mentioning the possibility, but thank you so much, @Pearlee, for schooling me.

@suzyQ3While Etsy is not as large as Ebay, it is a huge site with over 2 million shops!  The shops are located all over the world.  One can narrow your search down to only US based shops

Absolutely, @haddon9, and I did mention that in my first post. When I was looking at masks, I did filter for U.S only, mainly because time was of the essence.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I've ordered from vendors in the U.S. and overseas, with no problems, but if I am buying masks, I would buy from A U.S. vendor because they'll get here quicker. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3   Yes you can filter it to only US shops but Etsy is not always user friendly.  They are constantly changing things to the frustration of shop owners!  I had to explain this to a friend who was interested in also buying a mask on how to narrow down her search.

Etsy really needs to work on their search system!  I am currently taking a much needed break and may reopen my shop later in the spring.

Honored Contributor

I have ordered many times from themagicspool in CA, including some masks recently. They ship immediately. I received some yesterday from them and had one shipped to my nephew and he received it today.

Cloth mask only.  Not medical grade of course.  I'm going to line mine with a folded paper towel. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

You have the option to choose USA only sellers.  Over on the left side, about half way down the page.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

You have the option to choose USA only sellers.  Over on the left side, about half way down the page.

Yes, that is so true, @CelticCrafter :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

Etsy takes PayPal

Honored Contributor

I've been buying from Etsy since it's inception. I've ordered five things this week including a mask. It's always nice to support home based businesses. Go for it!

Honored Contributor

Since you don't know if the seller has COVID-19, it's best to presume it's not safe.  On receiving your purchase, take care to discard the packaging, then launder or wipe-down.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
Stick to USA sales. There are plenty of people here selling masks. If you do want to buy from England, make sure you won't have a surcharge
on your payment method for paying in foreign currency. I have bought a couple of things from England and made sure to use my credit card that doesn't charge for foreign purchases.
My 2 purchases from England came faster than my QVC purchases!

I have an Etsy order en route right now from Virginia.

Anyone buying masks on Etsy be sure to wash them before using. You don't know whether the seller could be carrying the virus.

@Pearlee  After a couple days the virus will be inactive on clothing