Honored Contributor

I was thinking of purchasing some cloth masks. I was looking on Etsy, I have never purchased from the website, is it safe to do so? Also I noticed the prices were in pounds, how do I know how much American currency it is? I am so suspicious about giving my credit card to a site I'm not sure of.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is It Safe To Buy From Etsy

I've been buying wreaths from Etsy for years.  Beautiful ones = no problem.  Also bought ribbon type thing and scarves from Turkey, Brooklyn and Australia. They will convert their money to USA - so no problem there.  Get your masks.

(most vendors are shops, not individuals)

Respected Contributor

It is safe to buy from Etsy.  I have made many purchases from Etsy before.  But I would buy from the vendors that has good reviews and have been selling from Etsy for a while.  I would also buy local, vendors that are based in U.S.A.

I just ordered a bunch of cloth masks from different shops.  From the research I did, I find that it is better to buy masks with a filter pocket.  That way you can insert a paper towel or tissue paper in it to make it even thicker and more protective.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Stick to USA sales. There are plenty of people here selling masks. If you do want to buy from England, make sure you won't have a surcharge
on your payment method for paying in foreign currency. I have bought a couple of things from England and made sure to use my credit card that doesn't charge for foreign purchases.
My 2 purchases from England came faster than my QVC purchases!

I have an Etsy order en route right now from Virginia.

Anyone buying masks on Etsy be sure to wash them before using. You don't know whether the seller could be carrying the virus.
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I was thinking of purchasing some cloth masks. I was looking on Etsy, I have never purchased from the website, is it safe to do so? Also I noticed the prices were in pounds, how do I know how much American currency it is? I am so suspicious about giving my credit card to a site I'm not sure of.

Yes, @Jordan2, is safe. You can filter your search so that only items from the U.S. show up.

I don't know whether Etsy has sites in other countries. I wonder whether there is  British site that you might have landed on.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

There are tons of things for sale from other countries on the U.S. Etsy site; she didn't "land" on another one.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
There are tons of things for sale from other countries on the U.S. Etsy site; she didn't "land" on another one.

Since I have occasionally "landed" on a foreign version of a site, I thought it was worth mentioning the possibility, but thank you so much, @Pearlee, for schooling me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 The reason the prices are in pounds is because the shop you're thinking of buying from is located in the UK.  If you want an American shop you'll have to click onto the shop name and under the name it should tell you the location (usually what state if in the US).

I know because I've had an Etsy shop (currently in vacation mode) for over 11 years. 

If you order from the US and the mask is ready to ship and doesn't have to be made you'll get it a lot faster than waiting for it to ship from overseas.

Etsy is a safe place to buy and over the years I have purchased hundreds of items with never a problem.  However you do have to check each individual shop that you're interested in buying from.  Check reviews, shipping times and location.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

Since I have occasionally "landed" on a foreign version of a site, I thought it was worth mentioning the possibility, but thank you so much, @Pearlee, for schooling me.

@suzyQ3While Etsy is not as large as Ebay, it is a huge site with over 2 million shops!  The shops are located all over the world.  One can narrow your search down to only US based shops. 

Honored Contributor

I order from Etsy all the time.  Look at the particular seller's reviews. That will give you an idea. 

I am a big Etsy shopper. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?