Respected Contributor

Re: Is Evine in financial trouble?

Evine has never been up there with QVC or HSN in assorted product variety.

Not that I have not jumped on some of their bandwagons - 

Sonia Bitton

Michael Valitutti

One World

Pam McCoy, back in the day when she offered fabulous leather jackets!

Margie, back then also had some nice home items!

Have not got anything from there in quite sometime. 

And, not really even looking at their website anymore at all. Just not the same.

But must say, kinda like “don’t care”, plenty of other places to shop.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

The last time I watched the man for representing Waterford, Jorge, said something odd, he said he had been showing Waterford on Evine for such and such years and he will be back in April but will see what happens, then he kept quiet and moved fast onto another item. At the time I thought the comment was strange but after reading this thread, who knows. I believe Waterford is one of Evine's best selling products.

Honored Contributor

Interesting read.

We all shop online/shopping channels for reasons that often differ from person to person. I rarely shop at an actual store because they don't have the selection of merchandise and due to lack of CS. I'm' not driving all over the place to shop anymore, I'm not putting up with BS from salespeople who don't know their merchandise and/or are obviously not happy about working there.

Times have changed. Traffic is a nightmare now (it wasn't great 20 years ago but now it's horrible). "We have it online" is what I'm told. Well, why should I shop at your store if you're telling me to go online? It's a mess.

One thing that DOES keep me shopping via the channels/their sites: they offer what I'm looking for.  These are vendors that do NOT sell their wares in stores but via the shopping channel. Or, they are vendors that have their own sites but to see the product in action (and get a better deal), you have to watch the shopping channel. Or, the vendor has pulled out of all but a few stores and now sells via one shopping channel (looking at you, Waterford). 

If people want a specific brand/item and the only place to get it is via Evine, they're going to shop at Evine. ALL the shopping channels stink at shipping costs and returns. Why? I don't know. The evidence is out there that the competition is offering free this and that but these 3 channels refuse to join the club. Then again, maybe they don't have to as long as people keep buying from them. 

Evine has some really great vendors/products. QVC and HSN are now clones of each other: HSN was my favorite of the two but now, they have nothing of interest except Bali by Robert Manse. But Evine? Some really nice stuff. Love that they offer higher end products as well; some of us are looking for the quality/price point. Private jewelers in my area are gone except for 1 and he's more for repairs; it's all chains locally and that's a shame. All the "good stuff" is in the city or a hike to find. Seeing live and on someone is better than guessing how it'll look via a website. JMHO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

https://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/evine-live-inc-reports-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-2018-result...

Evine’s financials and stock price don’t look too good and I’m wondering how much longer they will last. They are losing money and bleeding cash. They are looking to either sell their company or look for a strategic partnership.

So do you think Evine will last or fail?

@TY 

Doesn't look good ...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thank you for the link.  It doesn't look good, though they don't appear to be on the brink of failure.  I wonder if Qurate will be the white knight to save them.

@ValuSkr 

I dont think Qurate would acquire it....., right now it has all it can handle with HSN which is still struggling....It will be interesting to see what the first quarter results will be for both Qurate & Evine .....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam 

As you said so well, the strength of the shopping channels is their ability to show and demonstrate an actual product, but they don't seem to be using it to the best of their advantage and instead choose to go through colors over and over, or instead it's a host's lengthy personal story (do we really need a host's music playlist on a fashion show? or learn about a host's daughter's exploits), and instead they ignore product features and benefits that actually might drum up more sales.....(ever see the tons of unanswered questions asking about the product on the website underneath the product reviews )

And online shopping is starting to show a strain....with an increase in orders it's starting to create delivery issues, in the past Amazon orders not even eligible for Prime arrived just as quickly....now customers are starting to complain about merchandise not Prime eligible taking 7 days....that's QVC delivery time territory everyone complains about....Oh but Amazon is building it's own delivery fleetbservice....but guess who will pay for that in the long run....And what will other retailers do with pressure put on USPS, UPS, FED EX,and some companies hiring contract labor--more expense that will be passed onto the customer.  Then there are porch pirates. And there's products on websites that don't always live up to expectations, or clothing sizing is off etc....

So while online shopping offers convenience and avoiding traffic jams, it offers it's own set of problems....And it's bound to get worse as more brick and mortar stores struggle to stay in existence have fewer stock available in their stores, and push customers to order from them online.... 

Your right it's a BIG MESS and bound to get worse....higher prices and longer shipping, and fewer options as retailers close...

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Agree 100% with hosts not selling the product. I don't care about you, your family, etc.: I DO care about information on the product and yes, this is a BIG area where they simply fail. Maybe they're told to make a "human connection" by selling themselves as our "friend" but for those savvy enough to see through the sales pitch, it's simply a waste of our time.

What I find interesting about the issues with shipping is that many vendors I order from directly get my package to me in 1-2 days with no issues. Why is this? What "magic" do they perform that other companies don't possess? Sometimes it's USPS, sometimes, UPS, sometimes FedEX but they're there fast and with no issue.

With new ideas and advances come new problems. We'll just have to see how it all works out.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Does anyone get Evine in HD?  I don't...Comcast. the largest cable provider in the country.  For me digital is blurry and distorted on an HDTV, so I don't watch it. That might be part of Evine's problem.  

@Foxxee, I do.  I am in the Cleveland area and have Spectrum.  

Esteemed Contributor

Regular Contributor

I do a lot of on line shopping for my great grands...since they live in another state...and I have found some sweet deals in the B&M stores on line for the kids....and even myself...some really good deals..name brands at 1/2 the price of the Q's items.