Respected Contributor

@Yardlie  Good for you.

Honored Contributor

My LBI daughter (very loving) has developed a habit of calling me once or twice a week with the preface statement that she has to leave shortly to [. . . fill in the blank)].  I have caught on.

Next time she does this I have an answer prepared.  "Why don't you do [ . . . whatever] first and call me when you return or have more time."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio I agree.  No passes there from me either.  Too often all we do is make excuses for others that treat us poorly.  Perhaps it makes us feel better to do so.  I don't know what goes on in peoples' heads but I see the behavior.  I had to laugh at the question regarding email being outdated.  Wonder what people would say about the IRS issue and thread whereby they only connect with snail mail to protect people from the predators in cyberspace.  Hmmm, come to think of it, I just read an article that said really concerned organizations were seriously looking at bringing back the typewriter.  Can not be hacked.  Go figure.

Respected Contributor

I have had various macs since early 1990s,and my  iPad but not a smart phone because I don't need it. On my cell phone, I only pay for minutes as I need them with no monthly fees. Why would I sign up for an iPhone with fees? I have never sent a text, but on one of our computer systems at work years ago, we had instant messaging, which we all used. To be honest, though, it was  disruptive because one was constantly reacting to those texts which popped up on the screen. Is that how texts are now? I don't even know. I do know that people do not answer their phones and return calls and lots of people do not read emails, either. To me, it is rudeness. Conversely, I read an article in which some younger adults said they felt it was "rude" of people to call or email these days. the attitude was "contact me the way I want to be contacted and if you don't do so you are the one being rude." That's where society is, folks.

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@Mominohio I agree.  No passes there from me either.  Too often all we do is make excuses for others that treat us poorly.  Perhaps it makes us feel better to do so.  I don't know what goes on in peoples' heads but I see the behavior.  I had to laugh at the question regarding email being outdated.  Wonder what people would say about the IRS issue and thread whereby they only connect with snail mail to protect people from the predators in cyberspace.  Hmmm, come to think of it, I just read an article that said really concerned organizations were seriously looking at bringing back the typewriter.  Can not be hacked.  Go figure.

@Deanie

Everything old is new again!

When one lives enough years, one is able to see that the old ways did indeed have their value (and still do!).

Honored Contributor

I think to a degree it is.  I work at a university.  Articles are sent to students via email.  So many of them ignore emails.  We had to change the system to texting their phones.  They answer immediately.  I think older people still email from computers.  Younger ones text through their phones. 

Respected Contributor

The young people in my life email with me.  Stop taking up for these lazy slobs that have no respect for others!