Honored Contributor

Re: Is Email Outdated?

[ Edited ]

with my kids it is much faster to send them texts or send them private messages via social media. they respond much faster that way.

i still do email them occasionally.

i also know that at least one of them has multiple emails. i know that i have 5 personal emails and only my main two get checked daily, or multiple times per day. make sure you are up to date on the email they use.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My son is in college. He texts with his aunt, but his grandparents don't text--they use email.  When he was a freshman, the grandparents would sometimes tell me during a phone conversation that they had emailed him, but he didn't respond.  I mentioned it to him when I spoke to him, and he told me how busy he was.  After it happened a few times, I called him.  I reminded him how good his grandparents have been to him (all of us) over the years.  I reminded him that he was raised to put family first.  I reminded him that it only takes a few minutes--or even seconds--to respond to an email, yet the impact on his grandparents would be priceless.  If he's really busy all he has to do is type a sentence or two acknowledging that he read their email and let them know he'll type a longer email later.  I told him that I was embarrassed and could tell that he had hurt their feelings by not responding.  I reminded him that in a future work environment, not responding to emails would be deemed unprofessional, so he may as well start practicing now. He apologized and said he would do better, and he has.  When he was home this summer, he'd say, "I just got an email from grandma!" and he'd stop whatever he was doing to respond.  My kid is the type who sometimes needs the "Let me spell it out for you" kind of talk.  He has a good heart, and I honestly don't think he meant to hurt anyone's feelings. Now he initiates the email exchanges without the grandparents starting it. Sometimes they know about the big test or events before I do!

So, based on our experiences, I would maybe let their parents know that you've emailed and would love to stay in touch.  Not in a tattletale sort of way--just an "I'm concerned because I haven't had any responses to my emails...sure hope they're okay." Also, I might end the emails with a sentence like, "I realize you're very busy, but I just wanted to stay in touch to let you know I care. Please email me back when you have a moment."  

Honored Contributor

Yes. I'm 46, definitely not a millennial, and even I hate email. My personal email account is mostly full of junk.

The best ways to reach me are texting and Facebook Messenger, I have friends who aren't on Facebook and don't call, so they only way they communicate is via email. Result: I rarely communicate with them. My mom also sometimes emails, but she calls more often. I put all those people in a VIP list so have their emails show up on my phone in a special folder, but even that I don't check more than once a day.

In an age where texting and message systems are instantaneous and can send photos and files the way an email can, Email is the new Snail Mail. It's still used, but it's no longer very efficient and the mailbox has more junk than relevant info.

Respected Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

I'm rather annoyed with some two of my nieces and one nephew.  I don't see them very often but I do try to stay in touch.  Earlier this year I emailed one niece who lives in CA just to see how she was doing - no response.

A few months later I email my nephew to give him some information about a childhood friend who passed away - no response.

Yesterday I email another niece to check the status of her sister who is moving home and is driving across country - no response.

Am I getting no response because people don't read emails anymore?  Is everything text now?  If that is the case I guess I'll never hear from them because I still have a flip phone (which is really hard to text on) and I'm not upgrading because I like my flip phone.  It's just frustrating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Winkk

This is exactly why I Love FaceBook !   I get to keep in touch and see everything that is going on in my extended family all the time,even the ones that live across  the country or even  out of the country. I am in the NE and I just went on a lovely retirement  trip of a lifetime, all  throughout the south west  with my lovely niece and her hubby.They were in their RV and I was at home on FB  Smiley Happy   I loved the whole trip    Smiley Happy

I was one happy FB camper  <3

Keep in touch on FB   Smiley Happy

Exactly.  FB is what you make it be.  You can limit your friends list to just family and set your privacy settings to as tight as they offer even to the point of making your profile unsearchable!

FB also has the private message capability so you can send messages that aren't shared on anyone's page.

The thing with e-mail is that people may or may not have them set to come in to their cellphones and prompt them that they have new mail.  If they don't check it regularly and don't get prompted, well, they don't know they have anything.

@Buck-i-Nana @MalteseMomma - Actually, I do have a FB account and have left PM for them.  Guess what?  No response.  What a surprise.  I am pretty tech savy it's just that I have a flip phone and it's hard to text on it.  My total cell phone bill is $100 for the year and I don't want to change just to be able to text easier.

Honored Contributor

It has been my experience that people who want to stay in touch with you do so regardless of circumstances. When we make excuses, it's usually just a reason to not keep up with relationships. If  I want to do something, I find a way, I think that most of us do. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

funny i was just thinking about this subject recently. i have a niece (20) in college and a nephew a senior in HS and neither acknowledges the gifts i have sent (i send $$ to nephew and my niece likes a gift shipped to her). not even a Thank U Text.

the last time niece communicated was a one liner txt in May of 2015 when she was driving!!

So Tuesday i received a txt from my niece,   she wrote: [sic]

"Heay ya kno i hav nt been good at textig U. lets change that!! and Txt more!!! howa re U?"

i too feel like a silly old aunt who looks old and ugly and my mother dresses me funny!

then i recall being 20 and i had a bunch of inlaws - my ex's aunts, thy were loud , nosey and bossy and they were the age i am now.  i avoided them mostly except for family picnics.

Respected Contributor

The irony is email replaced verbal communication and now both seem to be outdated.

Honored Contributor

The only time I use email is if I'm contacting a business or sending a long C&P to someone. Even with my husband I will text him and let him know I sent him an email. He rarely checks his personal email and I don't want to send personal stuff to his work email. Apparently my mom does not delete old email addresses because I found out she was sending me stuff at an email addy I haven't used in more than five years. She does have my current one. I was wondering why I wasn't getting her typical spam forwards anymore HAHA. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I don't think emailing is outdated. 

Do you have their current email address? 

If I didn't get a reponse, I probably would have called. 

ITA, email is not outdated.  Texting is more prevalent, but email serves a different purpose.

Respected Contributor

If the email is too long it's likely they won't read it.

I notice even in a business setting long emails are generally ignored.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____