Respected Contributor

Is Email Outdated?

[ Edited ]

I'm rather annoyed with two of my nieces and one nephew.  I don't see them very often but I do try to stay in touch.  Earlier this year I emailed one niece who lives in CA just to see how she was doing - no response.

A few months later I email my nephew to give him some information about a childhood friend who passed away - no response.

Yesterday I email another niece to check the status of her sister who is moving home and is driving across country - no response.

Am I getting no response because people don't read emails anymore?  Is everything text now?  If that is the case I guess I'll never hear from them because I still have a flip phone (which is really hard to text on) and I'm not upgrading because I like my flip phone.  It's just frustrating.

Respected Contributor

I don't think emailing is outdated. 

Do you have their current email address? 

If I didn't get a reponse, I probably would have called. 

Respected Contributor

Texting is what the most popular thing is to keep in touch these days and a lot of people only check emails every so often unless it is work related. I say what is wrong with old fashion pick up the phone and give someone a call. I think we have gotten away from the personl contact when staying in touch with family and friends. I would call them and see if you get an answer that way. Maybe the shock of the sound of a phone ringing will get you a response! LOL

Respected Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

@bri20 I do have their current email addresses.  The reason I don't call is because they just use cell phones and they work different schedules.  I hate calling a cell phone if people are at work.  The topics weren't that big of a deal, it just annoyed me that no one responded.  They post on their FB page how much they love their family yada, yada..but when their aunt emails them they ignore it.

I'm just venting.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

They are kids.

And yes, to them e-mail is outdated.  Kids get busy, are starting their lives and I can understand how they feel.

Send them a card once in awhile.  

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

@bri20 I do have their current email addresses.  The reason I don't call is because they just use cell phones and they work different schedules.  I hate calling a cell phone if people are at work.  The topics weren't that big of a deal, it just annoyed me that no one responded.  They post on their FB page how much they love their family yada, yada..but when their aunt emails them they ignore it.

They probably won't answer their cell phone.  I'm sure you can just leave a message.

Honored Contributor

Most young people have abandoned email as a way of regular communication.

They are using various forms of social media and texting to keep in touch, and their personal email (as opposed to that they use on the job) is often not checked for long periods of time. 

I refuse to keep up with it all. I still call certain people only (mostly older) and send some emails to people my age and if they respond ok, if not, I get it. 

I don't even try to stay connected to my 20 something niece and nephew, as they don't respond to any form of communication. I call my kid or see him when he gets home each day. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm guessing they have a new email address as most kids have the latest phones and email is received by such phones. When I send my son an email I always text, sent you email, he replies K. Good luck

Respected Contributor

I use email everyday for work as well as personal.My company also has skype,instant message since we have clients and offices all over the world.  I also pick up the phone and use that as well.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

They probably won't answer their cell phone.  I'm sure you can just leave a message.

I did leave a message for my nephew.  For the girls my call was more just checking to see how they were doing and I did not leave a message.  Maybe I'm expecting too much.