Honored Contributor

Re: Is Cecil a tipping point?

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

For the sake of the livelihoods of everyone connected to hunting over the continent, I sure hope it isn't. 

Words just escape me here. I cannot even conceive of your mindset. So sad.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

For the sake of the livelihoods of everyone connected to hunting over the continent, I sure hope it isn't. 

Amen, suzy.

There isn't enough space here for me to explain just how barbaric and misguided that statement is.

~Enough is enough~
Trusted Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Amen, suzy.

There isn't enough space here for me to explain just how barbaric and misguided that statement is.

Perfect example of why we need a Dislike/Thumbs down icon here or at the very least an IGNORE option.  

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

It's not just about ending hunting -- and those of you who think it is a "business" need to check your facts and your hearts -- especially because there wouldn't be any need to hunt if man had not messed up the balance of nature.  

This is about where we go from here.  The wrongful death of Cecil brought a lot of attention and people not yet aware began to be aware.  Unfortunately, there are some very hard and scratchy hearts here still.  Very sad.

Then again, we do not need a consensus.  Good movements are moved forward by those interested, and those who do not let others stop them.

In addition, many of us here have been involved in these movements since before QVC was even around.  This is not new to many of us.

The question I was interested in finding opinions on was whether we expect these movements to grow even larger and stronger.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Zimbabwe is run by a despot who killed an estimated 20,000 people to gain control of the government.  You're naive if you think he's worried about one lion or that there's anything anyone can do about it.  Where was the outrage when he was killing people?  The fee (I heard $50,000) for killing Cecil probably went right in his well-lined pockets.  It's his country, his rules.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

No it is not, not even close imo............

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

It's not just about ending hunting -- and those of you who think it is a "business" need to check your facts and your hearts -- especially because there wouldn't be any need to hunt if man had not messed up the balance of nature.  

This is about where we go from here.  The wrongful death of Cecil brought a lot of attention and people not yet aware began to be aware.  Unfortunately, there are some very hard and scratchy hearts here still.  Very sad.

Then again, we do not need a consensus.  Good movements are moved forward by those interested, and those who do not let others stop them.

In addition, many of us here have been involved in these movements since before QVC was even around.  This is not new to many of us.

The question I was interested in finding opinions on was whether we expect these movements to grow even larger and stronger.

The answer is a thankful yes, at least IMHO.

It gladdens my heart to see ever-increasing support for animals in general, with most people knowing that they are sentient beings who should be respected, admired, and revered.

I've been keeping an eye on the pet care industry, and it's been increasing every single year as more and more human beings realize that their pets are true family members.  

And usually their favorite.  8)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Homegirl,  Thank you for starting this thread.  My response is to those who say nothing will change.  

JFK said 'A person can change the world, a person has to.'  

Naive as it may be, I believe one lion can too.

Already 3 major US airlines have agreed to STOP transporting trophy animal parts.

Already extradition for 'the dentist' IS being considered.

Already charges HAVE been made against him in Zimbabwe.

Already The International Hunting Club to which 'the dentist' belonged HAS cancelled his membership.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely.

To some, the killing of Cecil was a minor incident.  I'll go out on a limb here, prepared for some attacks:  If anyone has a heart, the killing of Cecil was a horrific incident.  It also shines a bright light on the practice of trophy hunting.  Often if a "face" can be put on a problem, it becomes more real to people and thus inspires an outcry for action.

I have used the analogy of Rosa Parks wanting to sit on a bus.  Wasn't that the spark that ignited the civil rights movement?  Many thought discrimination was wrong for a long time, but this incident certainly was a spur for action.

No, nothing changes completely overnight.  It takes time and effort, but the opportunity for change has begun and will evolve.

"The millstones of the gods grind exceedingly slow but exceedingly fine."

Trusted Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

No it is not, not even close imo............

If you READ and COMPREHEND the definition, it CERTAINLY is.