Honored Contributor

Re: Is Cecil a tipping point?

Either which way the animal is slain (legally or not), it is dead. I can't get that dead giraffe's face out of my mind.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

blahblahvampemerblah wrote:"Great article in the WSJ about trophy hunting saving the lions because it can destroy the market for poachers.  It also helps control the damage lions do to livestock populations.  Tons of info in there."

I'd love to know the difference between those who trophy hunt and those who poach. It's tomato/tomahto to the dead lions

Poaching is killing an animal illegally, for instance out of season or in a restricted zone, wrong sex, etc.  anything against regulation.

Trophy hunting is hunting legally following all the rules and regulation, seeking an exemplary animal.

The thought that someone would seek "an exemplary animal" to kill it...to slay a beautiful, majestic creature to put its head on his/her wall and its skin on his/her floor..to so devalue the life of any living thing to a "trophy" leaves me feeling total revulsion.

What kind of mind must a person have to think that killing an "exemplary animal" is "fun"?  Is "sport"?  Is actually "helping to save" the animals?  Is a form of "conservation"?  And worse, these killers see themselves as great and powerful "hunters", to be celebrated for their daring deeds.

And for those naive enough to think that "trophy hunting" benefits the majority of the residents economically - oh, please wake up and face reality.  It benefits a very limited section of that society, while the masses live in dire poverty.  Those facilitating trophy hunting don't care at all about the rest of their countrymen.  The bottom line is how much money they can make, at the expense of the wildlife.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Either which way the animal is slain (legally or not), it is dead. I can't get that dead giraffe's face out of my mind.

I know.  Nor that of the woman standing over it smiling.

I listened to her justifying her "hunting" on a show and I only wished I had been there to tell her what I thought.  Saying she'd gone through some "tough things" that she wouldn't "go into".  Oh.....right!  That makes it all better.  You've had a tough year (who hasn't?) so killing a few dozen animals who had nothing to do with it will make you feel better.  A sadly lacking personality.

If I want to feel powerful or in control, I fix things around my house or do a physical workout.  I challenge myself to conquer something I didn't think I could do.  I don't kill innocent animals.

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I know.  Nor that of the woman standing over it smiling.

I listened to her justifying her "hunting" on a show and I only wished I had been there to tell her what I thought.  Saying she'd gone through some "tough things" that she wouldn't "go into".  Oh.....right!  That makes it all better.  You've had a tough year (who hasn't?) so killing a few dozen animals who had nothing to do with it will make you feel better.  A sadly lacking personality.

If I want to feel powerful or in control, I fix things around my house or do a physical workout.  I challenge myself to conquer something I didn't think I could do.  I don't kill innocent animals.

She's SCUM just like the dentist. She OBVIOUSLY has some serious issues - a PATHETIC excuse for a human being. KARMA will do them in.

Respected Contributor

I don't think so , OP.  This is a very entitled class of people/hunters and they will do whatever they want to do.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

I don't think so , OP.  This is a very entitled class of people/hunters and they will do whatever they want to do.

Only if people who care do nothing to stop them.  Even the "entitled class" is not above the law.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Hi @KarenQVC

Thanks for your post.

I did want to make sure you hadn't missed reading all the information other posters have made here that share lots of information to show us that things are changing.  You might even find yourself more hopeful once you read those (pay particular attention to the post @Drythe shared which is now 13 of 66).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't think it will change much. There are  different groups of people who are so far apart in their attitudes toward and values of animals that I don't see how the gap can be bridged. IMO those who enjoy trophy hunting are not going to stop because of this incident. They love the thrill of the hunt and kill too much. They may be more careful where and how they hunt so they don't end up being accused of a crime. 

Respected Contributor

Unless it's illegal, no.  Cecil and his chatter online was put there to keep talk of real news quiet.  Just like the Cait/gate.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Unless it's illegal, no.  Cecil and his chatter online was put there to keep talk of real news quiet.  Just like the Cait/gate.

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow