Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is Cecil a tipping point?

[ Edited ]

@NC Bandwagon wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

No it is not, not even close imo............

If you READ and COMPREHEND the definition, it CERTAINLY is.

@italia8140, I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful to you, I'm really, really not.

With that said, you might be being a bit too aggressive with people when it comes to this Cecil the lion thing and other animal issues. It's good to care about animals, it's good to protect animals and it's good to even get a little upset about animals being mistreated.

But if when you go from thread to thread, screaming at people with the caps lock on and saying they must hate and despise animals because they may not feel the same way, that just turns them off to animal rights.

TV shows like "It's Me or the Dog" and "My Cat from [can't say the word because that's a no-no from QVC]" does prove that sometimes, people can take their love of animals a bit too far at times.

Again, not trying to be mean to you. Just a little friendly advice. Smiley Happy

NCBandwagom,  

I completely agree with your post.

I would hope we all can agree to disagree, without seeming to attack one another.

Off topic:  I went on one thread on Sunday and was blown away by some outright cruel things that attacked the originator of the thread.  Her crime?  There was an obvious typo in the thread's heading, and a misspelling or two in her message.  There were many demeaning posts, even to suggest she should get a "fifth grade spelling book." When I later checked the thread again, thankfully the moderators had removed it and said why.  Is this what we're about here?  I still feel very badly for this thread author.  

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

MaggieMack-I hate to be the one to brak it to you, but Cecil's death is not gong to change the world........

It's already bringing about change in the world, i.e., Zimbabwe has outlawed hunting several species, airlines are refusing to ship 'trophy' carcasses, etc.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I think what some are trying to point out here is that there seems to be more outrage over this than over the killing, starvation and abuse of people in many places on that continent.  There are so many horriffic things that happen to people there, and perhaps that should be noted as well when this topic comes up.  That is something we can so something about too.  There are many aid groups and religious organizations there trying to help the human suffering on a one to one basis.

Somehow it seems callous to be talking about this and not to mention that as well.  

Respected Contributor

@NC Bandwagon wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@italia8140, I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful to you, I'm really, really not.

With that said, you might be being a bit too aggressive with people when it comes to this Cecil the lion thing and other animal issues. It's good to care about animals, it's good to protect animals and it's good to even get a little upset about animals being mistreated.

But if when you go from thread to thread, screaming at people with the caps lock on and saying they must hate and despise animals because they may not feel the same way, that just turns them off to animal rights.

TV shows like "It's Me or the Dog" and "My Cat from [can't say the word because that's a no-no from QVC]" does prove that sometimes, people can take their love of animals a bit too far at times.

Again, not trying to be mean to you. Just a little friendly advice. Smiley Happy

NC you implied on another thread that people who like animals better then people do so because they have been hurt by people and vice a versa. Really? that implies that people are very one dementional and do not have the ability to separate a whole host of feelings ect.  Just a little friendly advice stop trying to pschoanylze everyone we don't all fit into boxes.  

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

For the sake of the livelihoods of everyone connected to hunting over the continent, I sure hope it isn't. 

I'm trying to understand your logic.  So if some people are involved in a practice that is morally wrong, or illegal, your main concern is their loss of income?  To follow your rationale, if people are involved in immoral activities contributing to the destruction of our planet, your main concern would be their loss of income if they were forced to stop?  Maybe you should do some research about how how humans have negatively impacted the earth.  I am not attacking you as a person, but only your idea on this matter.

@PamfromCT

I agree! According to that logic we should just leave drug dealers alone?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think what some are trying to point out here is that there seems to be more outrage over this than over the killing, starvation and abuse of people in many places on that continent.  There are so many horriffic things that happen to people there, and perhaps that should be noted as well when this topic comes up.  That is something we can so something about too.  There are many aid groups and religious organizations there trying to help the human suffering on a one to one basis.

Somehow it seems callous to be talking about this and not to mention that as well.  

Why?Do you not have ability to give attention to more then one cause or concern? Animal activist on this board never go out of there way to bring up the suffereing of animals on threads about human suffereing so why do you feel the need to go off topic  and do that?

Again my mantra is we are supposed to be the Stewards of this World.

That is for the innocents who can not speak. Including animals who suffer the most regardless of what you may think. Millions of livestock are slaughtered everyday. But that is OK because we are consumers right? So if time is spent talking about the horrific death of one animal try to not soapbox all the human suffereing that goes on as well. We got a thread for that  and you are welcome to share your thoughts. I think as a  human it is in our nature and capacity to want to help the suffering.

Why do people get annoyed when the topic is an animal?

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I don't think anyone would dispute the horror of these tragedies you mentioned above, but this particular thread happens to be about Cecil, so we're trying to stay on topic, per the moderators and QVC's rules.

Start a thread on the issues you mentioned above and I bet you'll see many responses from the same posters that are here talking about Cecil.

Respected Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@NC Bandwagon wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

NC you implied on another thread that people who like animals better then people do so because they have been hurt by people and vice a versa. Really? that implies that people are very one dementional and do not have the ability to separate a whole host of feelings ect.  Just a little friendly advice stop trying to pschoanylze everyone we don't all fit into boxes.  

In all fairness, I posted that people who've been hurt by animals may tend to like people more and people who've been hurt by people may tend to like animals more. Then I posted that I know that it's not true for all people, just a general thing. I love animals, too. Smiley Happy

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Hi sooner,

Please don't misinterpret many threads about Cecil to mean that people are not outraged about killing, starvation, and abuse of people.  Cecil happens to be the focus of  all of these threads.

If you were to start a non-political thread on any of these topics relating to people, you would be overwhelmed by posters who would be stating their concern and outrage over these topics.

With that said, so many of my family and friends are concerned with all life.  I think the majority of people who love animals also love people.  I love animals, but also love people.  I do volunteer work with the very sick elderly poor.  I will admit, however, after watching the world news on occasion, I wish some people were as pure and lovable as all the little animals I have been a guardian to.  And I wonder why there are people who have lost their humanity.

Respected Contributor

@NC Bandwagon wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@NC Bandwagon wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

In all fairness, I posted that people who've been hurt by animals may tend to like people more and people who've been hurt by people may tend to like animals more. Then I posted that I know that it's not true for all people, just a general thing. I love animals, too. Smiley Happy

NC I am sure you love animals not implying you don't I just read it as I wrote it which is what you wrote above. I have been bitten by dogs and scratched and bitten by cats. Bucked off of horses and charged by a momma cow who thought I was too close to her calf.  If I was to go by your thought I should be scared of animals and like people better. But I don't because in all of these instances it was an animals reaction to protect themselves or their baby from what they perceived as danger or threat. I knew that and had the capacity and compassion to try to reassure them I was not a threat. I believe we do this with people as well.