Honored Contributor

For those who want to approach this from a broader perspective perhaps it's time to bring up the concept of "tipping point."  No doubt everyone is familiar with the term from the title of a book by Malcolm Gladwell several years ago.  The term came into existence prior to Gladwell, however.

Here is one definition:  the point at which an issue, idea, product, etc., crosses a certain threshhold and gains significant momentum, triggered by some minor factor or change.

Cecil may be a "tipping point."  I do not like to think of Cecil himself as "minor" but for the fact that he is one lion.  He represents, however, not only himself but a rallying point for a world that supports better lives for animals, a protected environment (both plant and animal) and smarter uses of our resources by everyone, and those resources gathered WITHOUT cruelty.  And also represents perhaps an even deeper understanding that everything is connected.  

What are your thoughts?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is Cecil a tipping point?

One can hope and pray that his death will change the world. Hopin' and prayin' . . .

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I hope - and pray! - that he is.  Heart 

That he didn't outrageously suffer and perish in vain.

That his legacy will be a positive and forever one.

But I also know that humans will forever be innately arrogant (and many, unempathetic), so I can only hope that things worldwide will change for infinity.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know the answer for sure, of course, but one can only hope (and petition)!

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

I certainly hope so.  Those of us who condemn "trophy" hunting need to continue to make our voices heard.  If we don't, who will?

It's sparked an international outrage.  Long may it continue until this appallingly barbarous "sport" is totally outlawed.

I could hope for some pangs of conscience or shame from these killers (be realistic - they're not true hunters), but I think that's hoping for too much.  Their arrogance in the belief of their own superiority would never allow that.

Trusted Contributor

For the sake of the livelihoods of everyone connected to hunting over the continent, I sure hope it isn't. 

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Esteemed Contributor

MaggieMack-I hate to be the one to brak it to you, but Cecil's death is not gong to change the world........

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry for the misspelling......break......

Trusted Contributor

No.

I was tipped over quite a while ago due to the hunting of elephants. 

These intelligent animals are frequently hunted for their tusks.  The countries which are lucky enough to have these wonderful animals have to be primarily responsible to protect them both from local hunters which unfortunately seem to run rampant, as well as trophy hunters. 

Do the math.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

No.

I was tipped over quite a while ago due to the hunting of elephants. 

These intelligent animals are frequently hunted for their tusks.  The countries which are lucky enough to have these wonderful animals have to be primarily responsible to protect them both from local hunters which unfortunately seem to run rampant, as well as trophy hunters. 

I have a particular passion for elephants. My husband told me today that he read that some are painting the elephants' tusk with pink paint to make them not useful to those who hunt them for their tusks. Interesting.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland